Diabetes wonder drug gets NHS green light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A SIMPLE pill which slashes blood sugar levels and offers hope to millions of diabetes sufferers has been given the go ahead for use by the NHS.

Experts say the drug canagliflozin, which is taken once a day, is a vital new weapon in the battle against the Type 2 diabetes epidemic.

It cuts blood sugar levels in people for who diet and lifestyle measures or other blood sugar-lowering medicines do not work well enough, say the manufacturers Janssen.

The drug, also called Invokana, blocks the re-absorption of glucose in the kidneys, which is instead passed in the urine.

Professor Anthony Barnett, emeritus professor of medicine at the University of Birmingham and consultant physician at the Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust in Birmingham, said: “Type 2 diabetes is one of the most significant health challenges of our times.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/health/476246/Diabetes-wonder-drug-gets-NHS-green-light

Give me strength! 😡 And why have they got a picture of a child when this is clearly a Type 2 drug? Why can't they do even rudimentary fact checking? :(

"Meanwhile, research has found that eating a hearty breakfast and lunch but having little for dinner could help control diabetes."

I almost never eat breakfast; I tend to have a substantial lunch and a light supper. Maybe I should switch to this "recommendation", or go on the new Canahgetsumin or whatever it's called. :confused:

Isn't this just another variant of Forxiga which george is on?

Isn't this just another variant of Forxiga which george is on?

Sounds like it.

I particularly liked the side effects caused, no doubt, by excess passing of glucose through urine.

Well exactly Vicsetter - that's just how you wreck your kidneys - by passing glucose through them, thought I.

So why bother? Die of complications from high BG or die of kidney failure ....

I'm sorry your husband has popped his clogs - but you'll be pleased to hear his BG was really good when he croaked .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back