Diabetes with autism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My daughter has diabetes she's 20 with a mental age around 12 she has type 2 and has 2 medications to help but she does not eat any fruit or veg so difficult to keep her level down plus the biggest problem she eats things that put up her level when we are not about.the autism stops her realising the harm it could do,she will continue this throughout her life until something happens i have no doubt we asked for insulin but were refused but they don't understand what we are dealing with.anyone who advises to be tough needs to take her for a week and see for themselves. Any advise welcome except the above lol .

What kind of things is she eating at the moment during an average day @Sammy ? Have her autism team made any suggestions about dealing with both autism and diabetes? I wouldn’t worry about the fruit and veg at the moment. I’d look at her usual meals and see if they could be subtly improved.

My daughter has diabetes she's 20 with a mental age around 12 she has type 2 and has 2 medications to help but she does not eat any fruit or veg so difficult to keep her level down plus the biggest problem she eats things that put up her level when we are not about.the autism stops her realising the harm it could do,she will continue this throughout her life until something happens i have no doubt we asked for insulin but were refused but they don't understand what we are dealing with.anyone who advises to be tough needs to take her for a week and see for themselves. Any advise welcome except the above lol .
Does your daughter know that meat, fish eggs and cheese are good for her? So many people push the idea of protein and natural fat being somehow wrong for Humans.
Many type 2s have more than enough insulin, so adding more is not like with Type 1s, essential.
Would having something like a sugar free jelly with berries be something your daughter might chose if it was in the fridge?
I am assuming she lives either with you or close enough for you to be there often, so perhaps you can organise making low carb foods with her assisting or at least observing and making choices, to get her involved in her own care.

What kind of things is she eating at the moment during an average day @Sammy ? Have her autism team made any suggestions about dealing with both autism and diabetes? I wouldn’t worry about the fruit and veg at the moment. I’d look at her usual meals and see if they could be subtly improved.
We give her low sugar and all recommended foods but she does not realise why she cannot have cakes / chocolate etc her mind will not accept she cannot have it and will get it anytime she can.i just think without locking her up she's moving toward failing eyesight or one of the other causes of high level sugar ,its 15+ most of the time if it goes down to 8 she will take that as a sign to get sweets.

It might be that she genuinely feels weak and in need of sweets if she’s usually high and then drops to 8. It’s called a false hypo - hypo symptoms at a non-hypo level. So if you can lower her blood sugars even a few mmols, she’ll feel better and might be less likely to feel the physical need to eat. High sugars can also make you feel hungry.

You say she has a mental age of around 12yrs. I wonder if Diabetes U.K. have any resources explaining diabetes to people with autism or just younger people. You could try contacting them on the number at the top of this page maybe. All you can do is explain in ways that have the best chance of getting through to her. Sometimes pictures work better than words. There are also story books that explain diabetes in a way children and young people can understand and accept, sometimes better than if they’re just given rules.

If she really won’t give up cakes, perhaps you could look into low carb cakes. That way she can still have her ‘treat’ without putting her blood sugar up too much. You could also reduce carbs in the main course of her meal if you know she’ll be eating a cake or some dessert.

Making some foods forbidden can be counter-productive. Maybe if she knows she’ll have low carb treats throughout the week, she’ll be less likely to over-indulge?

@Martin62 makes some lovely low carb cakes.

Eg:

https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/chocolate-chip-muffins.104060/

https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/ginger-biscuits.103745/

https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/chocolate-and-vanilla-marble-cake.103431/#post-1218473

We give her low sugar and all recommended foods but she does not realise why she cannot have cakes / chocolate etc her mind will not accept she cannot have it and will get it anytime she can.i just think without locking her up she's moving toward failing eyesight or one of the other causes of high level sugar ,its 15+ most of the time if it goes down to 8 she will take that as a sign to get sweets.
I have chocolate - just not the high sugar concoctions - I get Lidl 95% cocoa bars.
Cakes don't have to be high carb - there is a website called 'sugarfreelondoner' with all sorts of baked things, biscuits, cakes, buns etc. which are very good - even bread can be made lower in carbs. You might need to send off for ingredients mail order, and decide if some recipes are cost effective - the bread made from eggwhite powder is very expensive compared with almond flour psyllium flour oat bran types.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back