Diabetes, WHO and statins

Status
Not open for further replies.

helli

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I was pleased to read that the World Health Organisation have finally come up with a global coverage targets for diabetes
Whilst we may complain about the care we get in the UK, I hate to think what it is like in the developing world to live (or not) with this condition. And great that continued diabetes care is being thought about during a humanitarian crisis

It was interesting to see that the targets include "60% of people with diabetes of 40 years or older receive statins".

And it was frustrating to see this reported for "diabetes" rather than considering the different types.

And it was frustrating to see this reported for "diabetes" rather than considering the different types.
There are different types? o_O😉

What have statins to do with diabetes?

I hate to think what it is like in the developing world to live (or not) with this condition.
From what I have seen, unless they are either very rich or very lucky, most of the time they would never even know they have it. Their diet is usually some kind of porridge made from a cheap carbohydrate like fermented sorghum with very little else. Normally this would put them at high risk of type 2 diabetes but the life expectancy is so low, half of them will never live long enough to become pre-diabetic.

Even for your basic accident, the standard of care can be shocking. When travelling, especially in Africa, it is a good idea to carry a First Aid Kit that has been specially put together by your pharmacist or primary care team. (Ask about getting one when getting any travel vaccinations.) Then, if you are unlucky enough to be involved in an accident, you have the basics to give to the A&E Doctor/Nurse. That's assuming it hasn't been stolen, even the most basic First Aid supplies and western medications are highly prized.

Believe me, I am not joking when I say that, when 'up country' or even in a slum, if you ask for a Doctor, you could easily end up visiting a witch-doctor or shaman.

If you can visit the real Africa and don't cry when you leave, then you don't have a soul.

Edited because of classic homophone, (there/their)
Edit 2: clarified type 2 diabetes

Last edited:
Normally this would put them at high risk of diabetes but the life expectancy is so low, half of them will never live long enough to become pre-diabetic.
Please bear in mind, whilst type 2 is the most common type of diabetes, it is not the only type.
Type 1 is not dependent on diet and there is no such thing as pre-diabetes for Type 1.

Please bear in mind, whilst type 2 is the most common type of diabetes, it is not the only type.
Type 1 is not dependent on diet and there is no such thing as pre-diabetes for Type 1.
I've edited the reference to qualify "at high risk of type 2 diabetes". It wasn't my intention to exclude type 1 diabetes, but the unfortunate truth is that for many/most people in the third world type 1 diabetes is often a death sentence.

A girl I met once just outside Gaborone ignored my money to steal a small tube of Germolene antiseptic ointment. When I asked her about it, she explained that she wasn't a thief but she had a 'pimply rash and knew I wouldn't mind sharing'. Luckily I hadn't slept with her, I am fairly sure it was one of the early indicators of AIDS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back