Diabetes, what a fickle beast

Status
Not open for further replies.

agentmole

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Nearly three weeks ago I had a day stay in hospital for an operation, left hand thumb CMC total joint replacement, I’ve already had the right hand done earlier this year which was a great success and a game changer for me as a fix for arthritis.
The operation went well and my levels behaved perfectly, no problems, within a few days a new Libre 2 sensor is required, for me the sensors settle in pretty quickly usually within 24hrs, then I had a few evenings with readings peaking at 13 and 14, unusual but dealt with by correction Fiasp doses. The last few days the opposite is happening! can’t keep levels up with regular dips to 3.5. As standard I check readings against finger prick tests, ok the sensor is running a bit low but within accuracy tolerance, this one has a couple of days left but I’ll change it today! Can diabetes be this fickle a beast?

Nearly three weeks ago I had a day stay in hospital for an operation, left hand thumb CMC total joint replacement, I’ve already had the right hand done earlier this year which was a great success and a game changer for me as a fix for arthritis.
The operation went well and my levels behaved perfectly, no problems, within a few days a new Libre 2 sensor is required, for me the sensors settle in pretty quickly usually within 24hrs, then I had a few evenings with readings peaking at 13 and 14, unusual but dealt with by correction Fiasp doses. The last few days the opposite is happening! can’t keep levels up with regular dips to 3.5. As standard I check readings against finger prick tests, ok the sensor is running a bit low but within accuracy tolerance, this one has a couple of days left but I’ll change it today! Can diabetes be this fickle a beast?
The short answer is apparently Yes.

I encounter what seems like many inexplicable 'events' (or Diabetes 'excursions') and my 4, almost, years are tiny in relation to your experience. I like to think my 'excursions' have some underlying explanation or rationale and waste a valuable few moments of my life searching - then move on. I try to read the occasional scholarly article to feel better about encountering the inexplicable and usually find my eyes glazing over!

I'm becoming increasingly comfortable with @everydayupsanddowns explanation of "wrong colour socks day".

Never thought about the socks before. It explains everything!

Truth is we have a condition that has many input parameters, and a set of tools that only monitor a few. "The rest is" diabetes.

Now there's a thought.....

@agentmole, slightly less flippant you might find this article of interest about the 42 factors that can affect BG. Hence @barrym's reference to many input parameters:

Do you think the '42' is significant? <flippant sheilds up>
Intriguing. I've never thought about that specifically. It did once occur to me, fleetingly, that the groupings could be differently arranged - but I glance at the total list from time to time and invariably think the real benefit of the list of 42 factors is in reminding me (and explaining to close family) that every day (almost every hour) I'm mentally wrestling in the background with constantly changing parameters and regularly looking for some sort of explanation about why yesterday wasn't as planned / predicted.

OK, got there eventually. Been a long time since I hitched a lift.

You see? Diabetes is merely one of the many things that the short phrase ending with the words '...and everything' encompasses, according to Doug.

You see? Diabetes is merely one of the many things that the short phrase ending with the words '...and everything' encompasses, according to Doug.
Wow. Helluva a memory🙂.

I've been trying to encourage my 12yo grandson to read it, (too young?) but not got him to bite yet. maybe I'll reread it my self first. Better than Christmas TV eh?

I don't think I'd have appreciated it entirely aged 12.

But having Peter Jones narrate it to me whilst I watched it on TV in adulthood - I did.

I read The Hobbit aged 13/14 ish and the rest of the series a bit later, enjoyed the well written yarn of good v. evil, and have to say watching the later films in the company with eldest daughter & husband and both her younger kids - I reckon our grandson aged 12/13-ish grasped the principles better of the developing tale than did his 10/11-ish yo sister.

I've been trying to encourage my 12yo grandson to read it, (too young?)
I remember really enjoying the original radio series (which is the canonical version) which (looking at the dates on wikipedia) would have been when I was 12, though I have a feeling I didn't listen from the very beginning so I may have been 13.

I don't think I'd have appreciated it entirely aged 12.

But having Peter Jones narrate it to me whilst I watched it on TV in adulthood - I did.

I read The Hobbit aged 13/14 ish and the rest of the series a bit later, enjoyed the well written yarn of good v. evil, and have to say watching the later films in the company with eldest daughter & husband and both her younger kids - I reckon our grandson aged 12/13-ish grasped the principles better of the developing tale than did his 10/11-ish yo sister.
Stephen Fry does the current one - highly suitable I reckon. Quite tempted.

I remember really enjoying the original radio series (which is the canonical version) which (looking at the dates on wikipedia) would have been when I was 12, though I have a feeling I didn't listen from the very beginning so I may have been 13.

Bruce Stephens 11 and 3/4s. Has a certain ring to it;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back