Diabetes warning on soft drinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Drinking one or more cans of sugary soft drinks a day is linked to an increased risk of diabetes in later life, a study suggests.

A can a day raises the relative risk of diabetes by about a fifth, compared with one can a month or under, say European scientists.

The report in the journal Diabetologia mirrors previous US findings.

A diabetes charity recommends limiting sugary foods and drinks as they are calorific and can cause weight gain.

The latest research was carried out in the UK, Germany, Denmark, Italy, Spain, Sweden, France and the Netherlands.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22280297

Think they must mean Type 2 not Type 1 towards the end of the article, sloppy :(

What nonsense though, to suggest that a single item could be responsible!

I completely agree!

What a load of tosh!!

Pure and simple, type 2 diabetes is down to a mix of genetics and overall lifestyle. There may be other causes as well, but this is the primary one. Deal with that and I'm quite happy to lay a substantial bet that at least 75% of type 2 diabetes will be solved!

All these "eat this" and "exclude that" rubbish studies need to be binned at conception!

Andy 🙂

I completely agree!

What a load of tosh!!

Pure and simple, type 2 diabetes is down to a mix of genetics and overall lifestyle. There may be other causes as well, but this is the primary one. Deal with that and I'm quite happy to lay a substantial bet that at least 75% of type 2 diabetes will be solved!

All these "eat this" and "exclude that" rubbish studies need to be binned at conception!

Andy 🙂

The problem is that people who read it will assume that either a) people brought it on themselves from drinking one can of coke a day or b) people can prevent it happening to them by not drinking cans of coke (or maybe get away with one can a month 🙄)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back