Not open for further replies.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
A major awareness campaign by Diabetes UK entitled ‘This is Diabetes’ launched yesterday. There will be TV adverts, radio and other press coverage aiming to raise awareness of the condition, and the important work Diabetes UK do. You can see the advert and find out more here:

Last edited:
This is a very good thing. Greater awareness is definitely needed out there.

Did catch this earlier and thought it was very effective 🙂

That said, I’m slightly freaked out that since diagnosis, I’ve noticed a lot of diabetes advertising that never existed before. It’s almost like the TV knows 😳😱😛

Did catch this earlier and thought it was very effective 🙂

That said, I’m slightly freaked out that since diagnosis, I’ve noticed a lot of diabetes advertising that never existed before. It’s almost like the TV knows 😳😱😛
I think that is sometimes because your brain is attuned to picking something up once you know about it, how many times do you hear of something you have never heard of before yet see the same thing again often within hours.

I tuned into the zoom ’diabetes a matter of life and death’ last night it was really interesting. The next zoom is on the 3rd November ’Getting the diabetes diagnosis right?’. The site was Eventbrite. It is free.

A major awareness campaign by Diabetes UK entitled ‘This is Diabetes’ launched yesterday. There will be TV adverts, radio and other press coverage aiming to raise awareness of the condition, and the important work Diabetes UK do. You can see the advert and find out more here:

Not too impressed with the individuals picked. T2s outnumber T1s 9 to 1 but in this production T1s outnumber T2s 4 to 3.
The T2s chosen were not representative of the T2 community, one was a powerlifter and one was a vegan. Going to put people off ? Not a single T2 just getting along with metformin and/or gliclazide, the majority experience to start with. And again that emphasis on managing without meds, the idea being propagated that the object of good control is to do without medication ! Madness !

Was this just from watching the 1 minute ad? I couldn’t tell whether anyone was vegan (someone chopped a red pepper, I do that frequently, and I'm not vegan) or what type some of them were. I just thought the whole thing gave a sense of positivity, and taking personal responsibility for the condition, to enable you to do whatever you want.

I think that is sometimes because your brain is attuned to picking something up once you know about it, how many times do you hear of something you have never heard of before yet see the same thing again often within hours.

I always get this whenever we change cars… suddenly the roads are absolutely crammed with the same ones, when I just hadn’t noticed many before.

I think the advert / film is good.

There are far to many people who don’t understand diabetes and apportion blame for “your condition”…. It’s your fault etc. maybe they should walk in our shoes for a few days. I’ve said that at work a few times as I’ve been frowned at for having a biscuit or 2 and brandishing my insulin.

Well done diabetes UK and those involved.

Never really see much adverts, mainly record programmes & fast forward thru them so not likely to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back