Diabetes UK - Consensus guideline for flash glucose monitoring

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Flash glucose monitoring (Flash GM) is a new technology which has become popular amongst people with diabetes, despite not yet being available on the NHS. So popular, that many people are self-funding the technology. However, many people with diabetes who could benefit from using the technology are unable to afford it. A recent publication has shown that use of Flash GM is largely limited to more affluent people 1 . This is leading to inequalities in access.

“We are lucky to be able to afford the Libre, it has made a huge difference to my daughter’s lifestyle and her diabetes care. It’s a travesty that those who can’t afford it don’t have access to such a life changing technology.” Emma, mother of a child with Type 1 diabetes

We have developed these recommendations for the use of Flash GM in the NHS, jointly with other diabetes organisations representing people with diabetes and clinicians. We recognise that there is need for further research and audit to determine a full picture of the benefits and limitations of the technology to the NHS and people with diabetes. These recommendations are based on the best currently available clinical and scientific evidence as well as experiences from people living with diabetes using this technology.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Documents/campaigning/1190_Flash glucose monitoring guideline_SB_V8.pdf

Good stuff from the organisations and people involved but I still can't see anything happening anytime soon. If it's like the issues they had getting pen needles on prescription from the mid 80's then we can expect something in about 5 years time!

It's all good stuff, but as Matt says, a change in policy is as likely as me winning a triathlon.

I'm one of the more affluent, I suppose, but I always say as much when making a comment on the forum about the Libre. It's a tiny fraction of my income, but in any event my PIP covers it. Most people on PIP don't have a pension considerably higher than the national average income to go with it , and therein lies the problem.

So funny...can understand the temptation...always good to laugh at such pomposity

This video makes the point about the social injustice of our NHS...far better than you & the original poster could ever have intended it would...fingers crossed the irony will get the point across far better than anything else could!

Last edited:
Flash glucose monitoring (Flash GM) is a new technology which has become popular amongst people with diabetes, despite not yet being available on the NHS. So popular, that many people are self-funding the technology. However, many people with diabetes who could benefit from using the technology are unable to afford it. A recent publication has shown that use of Flash GM is largely limited to more affluent people 1 . This is leading to inequalities in access.

“We are lucky to be able to afford the Libre, it has made a huge difference to my daughter’s lifestyle and her diabetes care. It’s a travesty that those who can’t afford it don’t have access to such a life changing technology.” Emma, mother of a child with Type 1 diabetes

We have developed these recommendations for the use of Flash GM in the NHS, jointly with other diabetes organisations representing people with diabetes and clinicians. We recognise that there is need for further research and audit to determine a full picture of the benefits and limitations of the technology to the NHS and people with diabetes. These recommendations are based on the best currently available clinical and scientific evidence as well as experiences from people living with diabetes using this technology.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Documents/campaigning/1190_Flash glucose monitoring guideline_SB_V8.pdf

The information we get through these monitors is so useful and can lead to better health and improve confidence. It would be amazing if everyone who needed one could afford one. It's dreadful that only those who have the money can use one, such inequality and unfairness. Good luck with this important campaign.

Aye. I can't help having more money, it's just the effect of a well paid job and a nearly extinct final salary pension.

I don't mind being ribbed about it either, the good folk in Spar do it every day:D

That doesn't stop me being wholeheartedly in favour of this campaign, but I fear it will fall on deaf ears. As Stephen Hawking remarked, NHS England seems to be moving inexorably to the US model.

Back