Diabetes Type 3c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubadubman

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Twelve months I was diagnosed with Diabetes Type 3c after a partial Pancreas and Splenectomy. I'm awaiting a consultants appointment; in the mean time my local GP's practice is managing my condition.
I would be interested to know from the forum why Type 3c is not a recognised illness as per the information that I've just read on the Diabetes UK pages regarding Type 3c.
Thanks in anticipation.

I think it’s a fairly new classification, most Type 3cs were just treated as Type 1s in the past, but now we have antibody tests, to identify Type 1 as an autoimmune condition, it didn’t sit comfortably in that group, so a new name was invented. I suspect a lot of consultants etc did their training before the name was applied, and therefore haven’t heard of it.
(Just for clarification, in case anyone else reading interprets your post as DUK not recognising it, Diabetes U.K. does recognise it, but they say it isn’t an official classification yet).
We have plenty of members on here whose clinics DO recognise it, but for some of them it has been a struggle to get the appropriate treatment in the early days, @eggyg and @Proud to be erratic are two that spring to mind.

I think it’s a fairly new classification, most Type 3cs were just treated as Type 1s in the past, but now we have antibody tests, to identify Type 1 as an autoimmune condition, it didn’t sit comfortably in that group, so a new name was invented. I suspect a lot of consultants etc did their training before the name was applied, and therefore haven’t heard of it.
(Just for clarification, in case anyone else reading interprets your post as DUK not recognising it, Diabetes U.K. does recognise it, but they say it isn’t an official classification yet).
We have plenty of members on here whose clinics DO recognise it, but for some of them it has been a struggle to get the appropriate treatment in the early days, @eggyg and @Proud to be erratic are two that spring to mind.
Thanks Robin, that make sense and also for clarification regarding the DUK statement.
My local practice nurse is in the dark regarding my condition, describing it as a new classification is helpful. I really appreciate your swift reply thank you. 🙂

Type 3c here. Distal pancreatectomy and splenectomy in 2007. Type 3c hadn’t been invented when I was diagnosed! I was told I was Type 2, which knowing what I know now is absolutely ridiculous. I was finally recognised as Type 3c in 2018! I am treat the same as Type 1, MDI regime ( multiple daily injections) and Libre on prescription. I have never seen a diabetes consultant, I’ve never pursued that as I’m happy, at the moment, with how I manage it. But at least I have access to any tech I may need in the future. I mostly did my own research and badgered my DSN but it wasn’t easy. Even now lots of HCPs don’t have a clue about it. We’re a rather elite club!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back