Diabetes type 2

David Forfar

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I am 71 and was diagnosed 5 years ago my average Hbaic is 50 and is quite often 48
I am one tablet it isn’t inevitable is it that I will have to go on insulin is it?

Vonny

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi @David Forfar, is it metformin you are on? I would have thought the dose of that would be increased before they put you on insulin. Have you spoken with your doctor or diabetic nurse about it?

Vonny

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
If your nurse said it's unlikely, I personally wouldn't worry about it. Also, 50 isn't hugely high, you're only just out of the pre-diabetic range. If you are concerned, however, it wouldn't harm to try and get a phone appointment with your nurse, just for some reassurance.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have been diagnosed nearly 20 years , I managed with Diet alone for 4 years. Then went on one oral medication , I did for a few years go up to three oral medications but went down to two oral medications as three was too much. Insulin has never been mentioned to me my last HBA1C was over 50.

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I don't mean to cause any offence or anything but insulin isn't the worst thing in the world to end up on, many of us didn't even have time to come to terms with starting insulin, if it comes to a point where you need it then it really would be in your best interests to use it, it isn't something to be scared of xx

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi David

As has been said, 50 is only just over the diabetic threshold of 48 so it seems like you are doing pretty well.... but always room for improvement. If it gives you some context, there are members here whose HbA1c was in triple figures ie over 100 when they were diagnosed and they got it down to non diabetic levels by reducing their carbohydrate intake and taking more exercise and they are holding it steady without medication, so if you wanted to improve your diabetes management then you could make a few simple amendments to what you eat and perhaps get out for a daily walk, or if you already walk, maybe extend the length of it or incorporate a hill or walk a bit faster to improve your fitness. You might even find that in doing so, you improve your reading and need less or no medication rather than worrying about needing more.... How great would that be! I bet your nurse would be well impressed with you then!

If you give us an idea of the sort of things you eat and drink for breakfast, lunch and dinner at the moment we could make some suggestions for where you could cut a few carbs and hopefully see an improvement in your levels.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I don't mean to cause any offence or anything but insulin isn't the worst thing in the world to end up on, many of us didn't even have time to come to terms with starting insulin, if it comes to a point where you need it then it really would be in your best interests to use it, it isn't something to be scared of xx
I was not meaning to decry Insulin use just trying to make a point that it is not inevitable to @David Forfar.

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I was not meaning to decry Insulin use just trying to make a point that it is not inevitable to @David Forfar.
And my comment wasn't directed at you as you did not mention or are seemingly scared of starting insulin, I was pointing out to David that it's not the worst thing in the world and if you need it then its the best thing for you but some of us don't get the time to come to terms that we "might" use insulin and are shoved in at the deep end xx

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Michael Moseley, writing a couple of days ago, was critical of the NHS Choices website for its assertion that T2 is a progressive condition that usually worsens over time with most people needing increasing levels of medication. He doesn't agree, of course.

Martin

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I think it is likely only progressive if you follow NHS dietary advice!