Diabetes Type 2 blood tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nayshiftin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
I understand regular HbA1C blood tests but do they require a full blood count every time too?

I understand regular HbA1C blood tests but do they require a full blood count every time too?
Not necessarily but there are things that may come up that may affect the HbA1C result, like infection indicated by a high leucocyte count, anaemia, low red cells which can also affect HbA1C so it usually forms part of the routine tests, also U &E to check for electrolytes, maybe eGFR to check kidney function. May also check iron, folate, Vit D, cholesterol.

Not necessarily but there are things that may come up that may affect the HbA1C result, like infection indicated by a high leucocyte count, anaemia, low red cells which can also affect HbA1C so it usually forms part of the routine tests, also U &E to check for electrolytes, maybe eGFR to check kidney function. May also check iron, folate, Vit D, cholesterol.
Thanks . I just know they don't react to what is there always . So it kinda feels a waste of their
budget.

Thanks . I just know they don't react to what is there always . So it kinda feels a waste of their
budget.
All these tests are pretty automatic these days, you just feed the samples into the machine and it does all the work.
OK the machine may cost many, many thousands but they are designed to work 24/7 and don't like sitting idle.

All these tests are pretty automatic these days, you just feed the samples into the machine and it does all the work.
OK the machine may cost many, many thousands but they are designed to work 24/7 and don't like sitting idle.
Yea. I guess I am not stopping anyone getting theirs done .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back