Diabetes type 1 mood swings and anxiety

Status
Not open for further replies.

spence

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys. Been type 1 since last October. Generally cope with it quite well. Take insulin every morning and take my readings 4 times a day. Every so often I get days were I feel really low and emotional / lost/as if I am somewhere else. Even if my readings seem ok. Is this normal.?. I am. I have an upcoming app with the diabetes team. Obviously I will speak to them about this. Any comments greatly appreciated guys.

Hi @spence. Its still early days into your diagnosis and its normal to feel like that. @nonethewiser you beat me to it!.

Do you get these episodes? If so how often. Thanks for your reply.

More frustration when you do everything right yet get poor return, dont get emotional about condition except at start like you, no point as it changes nothing.

Hi @spence, like everything else, it comes in waves. Four months is long enough for the shock to wear off, now you have to deal with the mundane details of normal life. It takes a while to come to terms with it all.
The waves come and go
Thanks for your reply. I have accepted the condition. I just get these random days were I feel lost and alone. Doesn't matter if levels are OK. Still happens.

Yes, for pretty much the first year I had random days like that. Normally when I had a perfectly nice day and everyone was lovely but I'd go home and cry because life had changed.

What helped? Time, getting an insulin regime that worked for me (at first I was on fixed doses of mixed insulin), education, moving in with my partner, starting to exercise again, and doing things like holidays and realising I could do everything I had ever done, and more.

Be kind to yourself, also read up on the stages of grief and the similarities with getting diagnosed with a lifelong condition... A lot of it makes sense. You'll get there, in time.

Take care

Do you get these episodes? If so how often. Thanks for your reply.
I'm 4 years in and still have odd days when it all gets too much. I read on here somewhere that you can't control diabetes you can only manage it. This is so true. Most of the time you just do your best but there are still times when levels go awry and you have no idea why or the whole aspect of day to day dealing with diabetes gets just too much. Don't be hard on yourself. Come on here, have a moan about it. We've all been there and felt the same.

I always called them the 'Why me?' days and accepted they would happen, just bursting into tears for no apparent reason. But - turns out there is a reason! It's called GRIEF. It's totally normal for any otherwise normal human after diagnosis of a chronic condition. It happened every couple of days to begin with , then one day after I'd stopped sobbing I thought, gosh, that was a surprise - haven't done that for flippin ages, have I? cos I hadn't ....

Congratulations on just being normal!

I'm 4 years in and still have odd days when it all gets too much. I read on here somewhere that you can't control diabetes you can only manage it. This is so true. Most of the time you just do your best but there are still times when levels go awry and you have no idea why or the whole aspect of day to day dealing with diabetes gets just too much. Don't be hard on yourself. Come on here, have a moan about it. We've all been there and felt the same.
Thank you so much for your message. Has really helped. I have just had a couple days were it's not been great. I guess I wasn't expecting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back