Diabetes type 1 diabetic rage, anger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

spence

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hey guys. Has anyone on here had this. I just had temper issues and it spiralled quickly. I have been type 1 a year. Not had this before. I thought I was dealing with this OK but maybe I am not. My levels are generally OK. Any advice greatly appreciated

My levels are generally OK
Did you check your levels at the time of this incident. It is not uncommon for people to become aggressive during a bad hypo and I can certainly be irrational and emotional or snappy when my levels are high, so if you were hypo or hyper when this rage incident happened, then I think you can blame it on the diabetes, but obviously need to take steps to try to prevent the highs or lows which triggered this temper issue.

If your levels were normal at the time, then could it be stress causing you to be unreasonably angry. If so, then dealing with the stress will be important. That stress may be as a result of the extra strain of your diabetes management overwhelming you on top of everyday life, in which case you need to see how you can reduce some of that strain to make it easier.

Did you check your levels at the time of this incident. It is not uncommon for people to become aggressive during a bad hypo and I can certainly be irrational and emotional or snappy when my levels are high, so if you were hypo or hyper when this rage incident happened, then I think you can blame it on the diabetes, but obviously need to take steps to try to prevent the highs or lows which triggered this temper issue.

If your levels were normal at the time, then could it be stress causing you to be unreasonably angry. If so, then dealing with the stress will be important. That stress may be as a result of the extra strain of your diabetes management overwhelming you on top of everyday life, in which case you need to see how you can reduce some of that strain to make it easier.
My levels seemed OK at the time. I haven't had anger like this before. I feel I am managing it but maybe I am not. Thank you for your reply. Its very helpful

My levels seemed OK at the time. I haven't had anger like this before. I feel I am managing it but maybe I am not. Thank you for your reply. Its very helpful

Could your levels have been changing quickly? That can cause a feeling of panic, which could translate into anger for some people. Are you happy to say a little bit more about what happened? (You don’t have to if you don’t want to).

You haven't been diagnosed very long - so, have you actually given yourself both space and time, to grieve properly?

You haven't been diagnosed very long - so, have you actually given yourself both space and time, to grieve properly?
I never really thought of grieving about it to be fair. I just tried to get on with it. Obviously it has changed mine and my partners lives which I hate. But it is what it is. Thank you for your reply.

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience @spence

Did you have a meter to hand to check your levels? Or were you going on symptoms you could feel?

Were you aware that things were spiralling while they were happening? Or was it only on reflection afterwards that you felt it wasn’t how you would have normally reacted?

Hope it’s not something that repeats for you.

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience @spence

Did you have a meter to hand to check your levels? Or were you going on symptoms you could feel?

Were you aware that things were spiralling while they were happening? Or was it only on reflection afterwards that you felt it wasn’t how you would have normally reacted?

Hope it’s not something that repeats for you.
Thank you for your reply. It was very odd. I had had a good day at work, came home and my partner made a comment about something not really that bad. I said something back and things spiralled from there. My levels were ok. Not too high or low. It was over in a short time. I then started analysing how it happened. It shocked me as I couldn't explain it. It's something else about this condition that I have now experienced. I will know have to keep an eye on it.

Thank you for your reply. It was very odd. I had had a good day at work, came home and my partner made a comment about something not really that bad. I said something back and things spiralled from there. My levels were ok. Not too high or low. It was over in a short time. I then started analysing how it happened. It shocked me as I couldn't explain it. It's something else about this condition that I have now experienced. I will know have to keep an eye on it.

So it sounds like it was most likely not connected to changes in your brain related to out of range glucose levels, but might be obliquely related to the stress, grief and psychological impact of your diagnosis. Plus of course the generally elevated stress of the current financial situation, and Christmas pressures too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back