Diabetes Type 1 and sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aldo Roma

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
Is there anyone who has trained soccer with type 1 diabetes or any other sport to share their experiences with blood sugar levels during and before/after training?

I play rugby and find for training I can go lower especially afterwards, but matches because it’s a longer day and due to the adrenaline my levels are much higher.
Sport does vary per person and the type of sport.
When you say scocer do you mean football?

I think the general advice is most cardio most people have lower levels and strength based is the other way.

I play rugby and find for training I can go lower especially afterwards, but matches because it’s a longer day and due to the adrenaline my levels are much higher.
Sport does vary per person and the type of sport.
When you say scocer do you mean football?

I think the general advice is most cardio most people have lower levels and strength based is the other way.
How do you approach a rugby match? Do you get your levels up high first and reduce the background? Went to one of them soft play places with the daughter today and the Dexcom was going off every ten minutes, I was forever calling her over for a poxy jelly baby! Had more double down arrows than a sat-nav!

How do you approach a rugby match? Do you get your levels up high first and reduce the background? Went to one of them soft play places with the daughter today and the Dexcom was going off every ten minutes, I was forever calling her over for a poxy jelly baby! Had more double down arrows than a sat-nav!
No with matches I go high naturally anyway it’s the adrenaline, so actually on these days I have a higher background amount.

But for things that can make me low, cycling or running I would either have less insulin or have a snack beforehand, I find a banana or box of raisins does the job.

That will be loads of exercise for her so I would definitely say a snack beforehand.
You will soon learn with activity has what impact. Sadly it is a case of trying it out first and adjusting as most things with diabetes are

No with matches I go high naturally anyway it’s the adrenaline, so actually on these days I have a higher background amount.

But for things that can make me low, cycling or running I would either have less insulin or have a snack beforehand, I find a banana or box of raisins does the job.

That will be loads of exercise for her so I would definitely say a snack beforehand.
You will soon learn with activity has what impact. Sadly it is a case of trying it out first and adjusting as most things with diabetes are
So it’s okay to go up to say 15 or so and then get cracking? If she started at 10 she’d be coming straight out again!

I run and do karate, I swapped to twice a day basal as I’d go low quite quick even with eating beforehand. I’d have to have a large spag bol and no bolus for the karate class!
I personally wouldn’t want to start exercise at 15, I’d like to be around 10 and have enough food in me to sustain for the exercise and have snacks handy in case. I’d set my low alarm higher as well to give myself time to digest the snacks. I find it really hard to get going again once I’ve gone low.

Exercise for me is mostly about managing insulin on board.
I try to leave 4 hours between my last bolus and exercise as it seems to make my insulin far more potent.
I am lucky to have as pump so I can also reduce my basal for exercise.
And, like @mitchsi I wouldn't want to start exercising as high as 15. It makes me feel very sluggish making exercise tough and, therefore, putting an extra stress on my body which pushes my levels even higher.
I appreciate this is tough to manage for a little one, especially if she doe snot have a pump.

I was told not to exercise if above 13 or so. I generally try to be around 9, then top up with glucose/carbs as needed.

So it’s okay to go up to say 15 or so and then get cracking? If she started at 10 she’d be coming straight out again!
I was told by my DSN not to exercise over 13 actually, so I base it off that.

Obviously I’m not missing rugby for my diabetes, I will rest for a hypo but I will correct highs if needed but not stop plying or training but this is not advice at all, especially for a child.

Exercise for me is mostly about managing insulin on board.
I try to leave 4 hours between my last bolus and exercise as it seems to make my insulin far more potent.
I am lucky to have as pump so I can also reduce my basal for exercise.
And, like @mitchsi I wouldn't want to start exercising as high as 15. It makes me feel very sluggish making exercise tough and, therefore, putting an extra stress on my body which pushes my levels even higher.
I appreciate this is tough to manage for a little one, especially if she doe snot have a pump.
I feel sluggish at about 12 actually. And if I am higher I angry / moody anyway so sometimes it does help with rugby, not ideal in daily life but good if iou need to tackle someone :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back