Diabetes treatment could soon be as easy as getting a haircut, Mount Sinai researcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A clinical study launching next month at Mount Sinai is like the search for the Holy Grail.
And Dr. Ravi Retnakaran, who sees it as just that, is leading the way.
Researchers are launching a study that could halt type-2 diabetes in its early stages and effectively alter how the disease is treated.
Data collected from patient studies by Retnakaran and Dr. Caroline Kramer found short-term insulin therapy for two or three weeks can restore the body?s ability to make and use insulin.
?After you stop your short-term therapy then the body can take over,? he said. ?You?re resetting the beta cells.?

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...ng_a_haircut_mount_sinai_researchers_say.html

A clinical study launching next month at Mount Sinai is like the search for the Holy Grail.
And Dr. Ravi Retnakaran, who sees it as just that, is leading the way.
Researchers are launching a study that could halt type-2 diabetes in its early stages and effectively alter how the disease is treated.
Data collected from patient studies by Retnakaran and Dr. Caroline Kramer found short-term insulin therapy for two or three weeks can restore the body?s ability to make and use insulin.
?After you stop your short-term therapy then the body can take over,? he said. ?You?re resetting the beta cells.?

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...ng_a_haircut_mount_sinai_researchers_say.html

Not the first suggestion that the T2 treatment algorthythm should start with insulin injections not end with it. A decade ago some researchers concluded that any one dxed as pre-diabetic or showing any symptoms of the Metabolic Syndrome should start injecting insulin to rest their own beta cells and ward off a diagnosis of T2 diabetes. Too radical and expensive an approach however -

Not the first suggestion that the T2 treatment algorthythm should start with insulin injections not end with it. A decade ago some researchers concluded that any one dxed as pre-diabetic or showing any symptoms of the Metabolic Syndrome should start injecting insulin to rest their own beta cells and ward off a diagnosis of T2 diabetes. Too radical and expensive an approach however -

Yes, I had heard this before, so didn't see how it was 'news' 🙄 I've also heard it in relation to Type 1. Actually wondering if this is the case with me since I seemed to recover some beta cell function after diagnosis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back