Diabetes team counts on teenage help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Numbers of those suffering from type 1 diabetes are increasing fast ? but a Cambridge team is relying on mathematics in its world-leading bid to control the condition.

Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune condition that is fatal unless treated with insulin. Since the very first insulin injection in 1922, new methods of treatment have developed including manufactured human insulin, smaller needles ? and, more recently, insulin pumps that provide a constant, minute supply of the hormone.

The aim of the pump is to mimic the human pancreas, which responds to blood-sugar levels by producing insulin, allowing sugar to be carried from the blood to the rest of the body. If blood-sugar levels are not kept within a range close to that of a ?normal? human, diabetes sufferers can suffer long-term complications involving eyesight, kidneys, the heart and the nervous system.

http://www.cambridgefirst.co.uk/news/diabetes_team_counts_on_teenage_help_1_1204421

Well - I hardly need to say this on this Forum. do I? - I've thought for some time - this really is the way forward isn't it? - a closed loop system I mean. Think the 'at home' trials will determine a lot and I really look forward to hearing the results - and hopefully, Louis' views about it! - when they've done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back