Diabetes target for doctors to be raised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I've just read in Pulse that the NHS is considering increasing the target level for HbA1c from 7% to 7.5% because a recent study suggested that the tighter control required to get down to 7 might be dangerous (increased possibility of hypos). What? Surely allowing a higher HbA1c has already been shown to put you at greater risk of a whole range of horrible complications?

http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=4126293&cid=Latest_headlines_1_150610

typical nhs to move the goal postsssssssss what next?????:confused::confused::confused:

not long ago i thought they were dropping it to 6.4 .....i wish they make up their minds !!

Why are GPs working to a target of 7% anyway when DUK says the target should be 6.5% unless you are at risk of severe hypos when the target should be raised to 7.5%. I thought the UKPDS had firmly proven that the target should be 6.5% or lower.

I don't like HbA1c targets anyway because it does not give an accurate picture if you have red blood cells that live longer or shorter than average. If my HbA1c was 7.5% my BGs would be permanently in double figures (and often over 20).

I saw my (type 2) grandad* at the weekend and he mentioned this. I don't like the idea of general targets anyway, personal targets are surely better based on personal circumstance, history etc. Achieving a 7.5 would be a fantastic achievement for some and a huge step back for others. If it does change I wonder if it'll impact on the NICE pump guidelines.

(*speaking of my grandad, I mentioned on another thread that he's been having loads of lows, turns put his a1c is in the 4s!!!!he's been taken off metformin...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back