Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
With all the talk of meet-ups around the country I thought it might be fun to start something up to perhaps give us all a bit of motivation and maybe showcase some of the places that members live that we?d like to visit but are too far away or difficult for some of us to get to.

Welcome to the launch of the Diabetes Support UK Challenge!

john_o_groats.jpg

What is it?
The Challenge is a virtual journey through the United Kingdom, travelling from John O? Groats to Lands End, stopping off for virtual refreshments at places recommended by members that are local to them.

How does it work?
Members of the forum resolve to perform some regular exercise - it can be anything that involves some sort of distance covered or extra energy expended. So, running, walking, swimming, treadmills, rowing machines, cross trainers, steppers ? anything that can be added to the overall distance covered collectively. I?ll work out a converter based on calories used for activities such as gardening, squash, badminton, football etc. so no-one needs to feel left out 🙂 Note: rally cross not allowed!

There will be a regular thread where you can report your distances covered, which can then be added to the total to move us further along our journey. We will have a destination to head for and a celebration when we reach it. The following destination will then be decided on ? the destinations can be anywhere in the UK, but heading generally south from John O Groats,

Anyone up for it? Let me know what you think!:D

I like the sound of this. Great idea.

Great idea - does walking round Asda count?😛Bev

Every little bit helps - if you would normally buy online from your armchair, but decide to walk round the store instead, it counts! :D

I'll let you know when my next quickstep class is! I cover a good few miles in one of those classes, I assure you!

Any way we could make this some kind of sponsored thing? Even if we donated a penny a mile, surely that would add up quickly?

I'll let you know when my next quickstep class is! I cover a good few miles in one of those classes, I assure you!

Any way we could make this some kind of sponsored thing? Even if we donated a penny a mile, surely that would add up quickly?

That's not a bad idea - I'll have a think about it 🙂

Well if this is the way Northerner is working it

Activity: Dancing, ballroom, fast
Time (mins): 60
Calories: 338.02

Activity: Walking, 4.0 mph, very brisk pace
Time (mins): 85
Calories: 343.53

So I make that one hours (nonstop ) dancing uses about the same number of calories as 5.66 miles brisk walking
Northerner, that will be quite a complex calculator!

PS, Good idea

I need to sign up to a gym, need to find a cheap one 🙂

Sounds a good idea - I'm up for it!

Count me in, trying to up my running at the moment so it can be extra motivation!

I need to sign up to a gym, need to find a cheap one 🙂

I don't think such places exist, unfortunately :( I used to be a member of The Quays at ?30 a month, or you can pay for individual sessions (about ?4 I think). Like most people, I never went often enough to justify the membership. The Quays is well equipped and you can use the pool and also get some classes thrown in I think (aerobics, spinning etc.)

im in and will try an calculate how much running around i do ....wheres the first port of call ....would it be ally in inverness? or is anyone further north? could we go the scenic route via bettyhill ?

I don't do much more than walking anymore, but I will let you know about that

Im lucky as i get a discount from my gym membership as i work in the attached school and only pay ?15 a month 🙂

Ooo have just noticed i am a senior member!! :D

does that mean i am old now.....😛

x

Im lucky as i get a discount from my gym membership as i work in the attached school and only pay ?15 a month 🙂

Ooo have just noticed i am a senior member!! :D

does that mean i am old now.....😛

x

yes, once senior you are old 😛

i keep thinking 'am i old now' - i turn 22 on friday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back