Diabetes support group Lincolnshire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt28

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

I'm looking to join a diabetes support group either in person or online via zoom/teams to discuss and learn more about type 1 diabetes management...i was diagnosed with type 1 in July this year and still learning the ropes on how to best manage my new found lifestyle.

Does anyone know if there are any diabetes support groups in Lincolnshire at the moment?

Thanks,
Matt.

Hi and welcome.

Sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis. How are you managing.... physically and mentally/emotionally. It can be a lot to deal with. Overwhelming is a word which is frequently used here by newbies but it's a bit like learning to drive a car.....it's all very complicated at first and you have to think about dipping the clutch and selecting a gear and checking your mirrors and indicating and steering, but gradually your brain tells your body to do a lot of that automatically and then you just have to think about watching for the lights to change or which road you need to take to get to where you want to be and never really spare a thought for the multiple times you press and release the clutch or the brake or indicate or look in the mirror.... it just happens. Your diabetes will become a bit like that..... but there will still be frustrating times when it doesn't work as you expect it to and you have to give it a bit more thought and attention.

Which insulin(s) have they started you on and do you have Freestyle Libre sensors?

Do you need a group to be in Lincolnshire.... Many of us just used (and still use) this forum as a great source of knowledge advice and support. In fact, I rate this forum higher than my consultant or nurses for practical advice and because it draws on the experience of people throughout the country and indeed beyond our borders, it has a depth of knowledge which could not be matched by the few people who might attend a group in Lincolnshire... You are very welcome to become part of our group here on the forum and pick our brains. I appreciate it isn't quite the same as sitting down in person, but the advantage is that we are here every day and night and you will soon start to feel like you do actually know and become friends with people here. It is a great group of people and an unrivalled resource when it comes to diabetes.

If you have any particular questions or difficulties, feel free just to ask.... or you can use the search facility if you prefer.... but we are really very happy for people to ask the same basic questions (or more complex ones) even when they have been asked before. I am just 3.5 years down the line from my diagnosis and I can't tell you how much this forum has increased my knowledge and understanding and confidence in managing my diabetes.... even when I get it wrong.... and that happens to all of us from time to time, so don't expect to have "perfect control" or things to make sense all the time because diabetes doesn't work like that. If you can get it close to right most of the time that is the best you can hope for.

Anyway, I have wittered on quite enough but hope you will feel that the forum can fill the role you need although if you can also find an in person support group in your area, join that as well. Sadly I think quite a few of the local groups may have stopped with Covid, but perhaps someone will have some knowledge of one in your area. In the meantime, make yourself at home here on the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back