Diabetes Support - Bournemouth Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rod

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello all,

I have been trying to become involved with DUK support groups in my area and would love to hear from anyone else interested. The current group in Bournemouth is not running for various reasons.

I am a type 1, diagnosed about 7 years ago and like many other people out there I believe that we can only benefit from this service.

I have spoken to DUK and have thier blessing to "ask around" for anyone else that may be interested in becoming involved.

So if you are in the Bournemouth and surrounding areas, I would love to hear from you.

Keep well and I hope to hear from someone out there soon!

Hello all,

I have been trying to become involved with DUK support groups in my area and would love to hear from anyone else interested. The current group in Bournemouth is not running for various reasons.

I am a type 1, diagnosed about 7 years ago and like many other people out there I believe that we can only benefit from this service.

I have spoken to DUK and have thier blessing to "ask around" for anyone else that may be interested in becoming involved.

So if you are in the Bournemouth and surrounding areas, I would love to hear from you.

Keep well and I hope to hear from someone out there soon!

Good luck with this, I hope it works well for you. Have you advertised this elsewhere ie DUK facebook page for starters.

Good luck with this, I hope it works well for you. Have you advertised this elsewhere ie DUK facebook page for starters.

Hi Adrienne,

thank you for your comments. This was my first posting but I wil try Facebook next..thanks for the tip!!

Keep well.

Good luck, I'm in the process of setting up a support group in Norfolk at the moment, definately something that's needed in more areas!

Good luck, I'm in the process of setting up a support group in Norfolk at the moment, definately something that's needed in more areas!

Hi Aymes,

how is it going with you, have you had the first meeting yet?

Thank you for you message of support!!

Rod.

Not yet, planning for early Feb, at the gauging interest stage at the moment, facebook groups and the like...

Just put the postcode NR1 1AB in the Diabates Uk postcode search and it came up with these support groups plus Kings Lynn ...

Norwich NR2 2SA 0.59 Miles
Norwich Youth NR4 7UY 3.36 Miles
North Norfolk NR28 9HB 13.63 Miles
Great Yarmouth & Waveney Family NR31 6LA 18.25 Miles
Watton and District (Thetford) IP25 6ER 20.27 Miles
Waveney NR32 4PQ 21.25 Miles

Just put the postcode NR1 1AB in the Diabates Uk postcode search and it came up with these support groups plus Kings Lynn ...

Norwich NR2 2SA 0.59 Miles
Norwich Youth NR4 7UY 3.36 Miles
North Norfolk NR28 9HB 13.63 Miles
Great Yarmouth & Waveney Family NR31 6LA 18.25 Miles
Watton and District (Thetford) IP25 6ER 20.27 Miles
Waveney NR32 4PQ 21.25 Miles

But sadly many of those are particularly inactive (and in some cases very unwelcoming) and there's a very big gap in that some are aimed at parents and children, then others at a much older age group. I'm setting up a 18-30s (ish) group following the model of a group a friend of mine set up elsewhere in the country. Been doing a lot of research and planning, things coming together now so will be announcing bits and pieces soon.

But sadly many of those are particularly inactive (and in some cases very unwelcoming) and there's a very big gap in that some are aimed at parents and children, then others at a much older age group. I'm setting up a 18-30s (ish) group following the model of a group a friend of mine set up elsewhere in the country. Been doing a lot of research and planning, things coming together now so will be announcing bits and pieces soon.

I think this is where I felt let down by DUK - my local group was listed, but defunct - the groups should all have a little web page so that at least you can get some basic info about them. My local group was supposed to be restarting in September, but I missed the first meeting. I emailed the address given saying I'd like to be informed of any further meetings but have received nothing. In October I happened to be at the clinic and saw a flyer about a meeting that had already happened. PUBLICISE YOUR EVENTS - don't rely on people happening to be in the clinic around the time they may be happening! And EMAIL people who ask to be contacted!!!!! No wonder they fail. I sincerely hope you have better luck setting up yours!

Hi Rod, you might want to contact Lee http://www.diabetessupport.co.uk/boards/member.php?u=1556

He is in the Bournemouth area and been looking to set up some kind of support group, he has made a couple of threads about it. Maybe you could join forces. Good luck with it

Hi, yes I have been in touch with Lee and we are due to meet sometime soon....thank you all for your advice on this topic.

I will let you know how it goes and hopefully share any ideas on meetings, etc.

Keep well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back