Diabetes service in Cornwall seems under extreme stress

Status
Not open for further replies.

PattiEvans

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
I saw the consultant in November last year - a last minute cancellation - before that it had been 16 months since I had seen him. I saw the DSN Last August. After my appointment with the DSN I received a letter with an appointment for 10 July this year. Just got a letter today cancelling the 10 July appointment and another letter giving me an appointment on 6 November this year!!! I know they are doing training for getting people onto HCL but even so, it seems a bit extreme to push appointments that far back. Good thing I can manage on my own, but hope that those who really need help are getting it.

I saw the consultant in November last year - a last minute cancellation - before that it had been 16 months since I had seen him. I saw the DSN Last August. After my appointment with the DSN I received a letter with an appointment for 10 July this year. Just got a letter today cancelling the 10 July appointment and another letter giving me an appointment on 6 November this year!!! I know they are doing training for getting people onto HCL but even so, it seems a bit extreme to push appointments that far back. Good thing I can manage on my own, but hope that those who really need help are getting it.
Not just Cornwall. I had an appointment for last July postponed to this February, then the day before, they rang and cancelled it. They offered me one for a week later, but it was the day I was taking the kids to Heathrow, so I had to say sorry, can’t make that day. No alternative was offered, they said they’d try and arrange another asap, but I haven’t heard anything, and my NHS App says a something to the effect of 'You have no future appointment'. So I was last seen July 2022. However, I do get my foot checks, BP, etc done by my local GP surgery, as was the case when I was discharged back to GP care a dozen years ago, I only asked to be re-referred so I could get the Libre on prescription, and had been happy to keep a foot in the door so I could keep up with any other tech developments, but as I don’t meet any of the requirements for a pump, there’s not a lot they can do for me at the mo, so I’m happy not to have a current date for an appointment.

I agree diabetes clinics are struggling and we should not have to deal with cancellation after cancellation.
I got my last “annual” review when I contact my clinic and reminded them I have not had a review for fifteen months and not received any appointment for my next one. Then, miraculously, I get an invite for an appointment in two weeks time that has just come available due to a cancellation. I had no issues but have no idea when I would have got an appointment if I had no pointed out the delay and fear for anyone who does not ask.

I haven’t seen my consultant for 16 months and I haven’t received an appointment letter yet either. Things went a bit haywire a few years ago, with ‘annual’ appointments being more like every 14 or 15 months and it’s not got better. I think it’s the same all over the country.

It's not just the diabetes clinics, it's all of them.
I was referred for an urgent apt which is meant to be seen within 10 days. The apt came for 6 weeks down the line and the next day it was cancelled with a note to say I would have another apt sent within the next 2 months!

Most of it is due to the Drs strikes.

I saw my consultant (pump clinic) in December last year for the first time in ages.

Just checked. My previous appointment was Sept 2021 😱

No just there Gloucestershire is as well. Almost 2 month wait for an appointment that’s likely to result in a change of insulin. Got told it’s because of the doctors strike. Db`ns are covering the wards for the doctors.

It's not just the diabetes clinics, it's all of them.
Sadly this is very true but it is not a new thing. It is not due to doctors strikes. It is not due to covid.
Four years ago, my GP referred me for an Urgent appointment with a consultant regarding suspected skin cancer. The first appointment I could get on the NHS was 4 months.
I was in the very privileged position to have the option for private healthcare. Therefore, the growth (which WAS cancerous) was removed before the NHS could schedule me in, even twenty miles away (there are closer hospitals with longer waiting lists). I now know that appointment would not have happened ... because covid happened.
I HATE this two tiered healthcare that we have in the UK. I may be one of the privileged "haves" but I disagree strongly with it and feel guilty for jumping the queue.

In some ways it's comforting to know that it's not just here. However, it is a parlous situation for all T1s and as I said I pity those who are struggling and the newly diagnosed who need help that they aren't getting. I think it's the general underfunded state of the NHS. I've been referred to a consultant as the start of the process proceeding towards knee replacement and I am told the waiting list just to see the consultant is over a year. Then if you get on the waiting list for the operation it's over 3 years. I have a small policy that will fund seeing a consultant but the GP says it doesn't get you anywhere as they will then expect you to have the op privately and the insurance doesn't fund that and I don't have the money.

In some ways it's comforting to know that it's not just here. However, it is a parlous situation for all T1s and as I said I pity those who are struggling and the newly diagnosed who need help that they aren't getting. I think it's the general underfunded state of the NHS. I've been referred to a consultant as the start of the process proceeding towards knee replacement and I am told the waiting list just to see the consultant is over a year. Then if you get on the waiting list for the operation it's over 3 years. I have a small policy that will fund seeing a consultant but the GP says it doesn't get you anywhere as they will then expect you to have the op privately and the insurance doesn't fund that and I don't have the money.
Recent experience has been that seeing a consultant privately can bump you up the queue if they assess the need to be urgent. My O H saw a urologist privately and got an NHS appointment for surgery a month later when he had been told the wait would be a least 6 months, and he saw a cardiologist privately and they then organised further tests under the NHS.
So in both cases well worth the money on the private consultation.

To be perfectly honest my knee isn't urgent. Yes, I have difficulty with stairs and even just steps like kerbs, but so long as I approach them the right way I can manage and my knee isn't really painful if I do manage it. If it gets worse it will be worth a try so thank you for the information!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back