Diabetes screening overhaul could cut GP workload

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the pharmacies will be able to do fingerprick HbA1c's, why can't the GP surgeries ?

Or do they mean a spot BG test ? :confused:

And of course, if we want to know an interim Hb, wejust pop to our nearest Boots and do the risk assessment so we're low risk and get our Hb done. :D

Result !

Rob

If the pharmacies will be able to do fingerprick HbA1c's, why can't the GP surgeries ?

Or do they mean a spot BG test ? :confused:

And of course, if we want to know an interim Hb, wejust pop to our nearest Boots and do the risk assessment so we're low risk and get our Hb done. :D

Result !

Rob

How will you disguise the glowing 'D' on your forehead though?

I wear a 'normal' suit and hope they don't spot the thousands of pin pricks on my fingers 😎

Rob

I wear a 'normal' suit and hope they don't spot the thousands of pin pricks on my fingers 😎

Rob

Yes, you'd have to remember to flinch and cry out in pain like a 'normal' person would when they pricked your finger! :D

:D and faint at the sight of the blood. 🙄

Then ask if I get one of those meter things when I'm diagnosed. Now that really WOULD be silly :D

Rob

I just say I do a lot of needle work !!!!!!!

:D You might get away with that ! :D

Rob

ps. I could use the hedghogs as an excuse !

I was gonna say OK it may save time but would cost em a fortune in fingerprick A1c machines, surely?

But then reading on, it says you need 2 fingerprick tests to get a DX. Whereas there has been lots in the press etc saying they are really sposed to only do an A1c and that's the Gold Standard for DX. And then tales of what an OGTT proves at what levels are also confusing.

Thank God I already know what I am - cos if I'm confused, what would a person having tests now, be?

I'm not sure it will mean 2 fingerprick HbA1c tests to be diagnosed - definitely 1 fingerprick at pharmacy or GP, then a "second test" at GP, which probably means venous blood taken for laboratory analysis, although this is not clear from the article.

Interesting scheme and worth a decent test. One thing people don't always realise is that medicine and health depends on both pure science and how schemes are provided - with the science of blood glucose and HbA1c testting accpeted, this study seems to be concentrating on improving acceptance and efficiency of screening to public, GPs, pharmacists, other staff etc. I'd be interested to know what "risk assessment" is used - I guess it's a questionnaire covering aspects such as age, sex, ethnic origin, waist measurement, height / weight / BMI etc.

Up until 5 years ago I would attend the hospital clinic and they would take blood from the earlobe and within 5 minutes they would hand you the results of your hba1, don't know what happened to this equipment because now I have to have bloods taken a week before and they are sent to the hospital labs to be analysed. So yes there is (was) portable equipment that can give near enough instant hba results and this would be great if pharmacy's were allowed to test customers for diabetes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back