Diabetes risk high in Russia, but situation not as grave as India

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Professor Oleg Arturovich Malievsky, the chief pediatric endocrinologist of the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Bashkortostan and an expert in the Alpha-Endo charitable program, talks to RIR about the spread of diabetes in Russia.

To what extent are diabetes and lifestyle diseases a serious threat to Russians?

Diabetes is one of the most significant problems of humankind. First and foremost, it’s defined by its high prevalence; every 10 years the number of cases more than doubles. Another aspect of the problem is difficult complications that develop during the long duration of diabetes. Nephropathy that causes kidney failure requiring hemodialysis; retinopathy with loss of vision; damage of lower-extremity vessels, in some cases leading to gangrene and amputations; arteriosclerotic changes of the major vessels, leading to a high risk of heart attack and destruction of cerebral circulation: these are the main complications that define the incapacitation and mortality of patients. In every country in the world, treating these conditions consumes the lion’s share of public health systems’ budgets. Taking into account the resurgence of diabetes and the increase in life expectancy, we can predict a steady climb in the number of sick people who have these complications. This is especially relevant for residents of large cities, where the lifestyle is distinctive for its sedentariness, high proportion of fast-absorbing carbohydrates and animal fats in food, and frequent stresses.

http://in.rbth.com/economics/2014/1...situation_not_as_grave_as_india_le_39131.html

I would like to see figures on places where Eskimo live etc. They don't eat sticky toff pud cake 😱 I would be interested to see a set of figures on certain islands where there is no mass produced food.😉 I heard a lot of eskimos drink heavy 😱

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back