Diabetes Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janrad

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Today I had a diabetic review at mu GP surgery the nurse I saw told me my diabetes is too well controlled my hba1c is 49 she said that it would be ok if it was 53 I am on 4 units of humulin insulin my options are to reduce to 3 or change te dose from evening to morning to aim for a bedtime reading of 10 . I am totally confused now I thought it better to be well controlled rather than not & risk complications

Hi @Janrad Are you having some low sugars? That might be why the nurse is worrying. It’s ok to have a good HbA1C as long as you’re not having hypos. However, your target should always be individual to you, taking into account your lifestyle, whether you live alone, your age, your responsibilities, etc etc.

In your position, I’d ask the nurse what her concerns are, and then you can make an informed decision about whether to lower your dose or keep it the same and move it to the morning.

All these things are a balance: balancing good control with safety and quality of life 🙂

The critical thing is whether that HbA1c was accompanied by frequent hypos. The Nice Guidelines do indeed suggest a level of 53 for T2 when on a drug that can cause hypos. But it also goes on to say that if you can achieve a lower HbA1c without hypos, then that should be maintained. But they are only guidelines & there may be other factors forming her opinion. If you are experiencing hypos then she may want to reduce the risk of them occurring overnight, especially if you live alone.

My last two HbA1cs have been 33 & 38. I've been on insulin for 13 months, initially basal/bolus & the last six months basal only. I have only experienced two hypos in that time & my DN has never suggested aiming higher. I had another test today & I'm expecting it to have risen again slightly, but hopefully nowhere near 53.

Have a read of the guidelines & how they apply to your own circumstances, then maybe have another discussion if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back