Diabetes Review or not...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharron1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I think i understand what is going on but it is the execution that is confusing. Text from surgery time for diabetic review. Phoned up and asked for an appointment for DR, the receptionist asked was it for a blood test or foot test? I told her the message was for a diabetic review. Oh that must be a blood test not a diabetic review. I made the appointment and had a long calming think. Am I correct in thinking i will have the foot check etc once the results of the blood test have been posted? However, previously I have had a blood test along with all the other checks. Glad to see the surgery is continuing in its mind boggling way in 2022.

I think i understand what is going on but it is the execution that is confusing. Text from surgery time for diabetic review. Phoned up and asked for an appointment for DR, the receptionist asked was it for a blood test or foot test? I told her the message was for a diabetic review. Oh that must be a blood test not a diabetic review. I made the appointment and had a long calming think. Am I correct in thinking i will have the foot check etc once the results of the blood test have been posted? However, previously I have had a blood test along with all the other checks. Glad to see the surgery is continuing in its mind boggling way in 2022.
Who knows? We used to have blood tests first, then when the results were through, a review with the Diabetes nurse which included BP, weight, and foot check. But last year, we had blood tests, BP, weight, and foot check all together with an HCP, and then a telephone call from the Diabetes nurse. I wondered if it was because the Diabetes nurse had an extremely clinically vulnerable husband, and they were trying to protect her, but she’s now retired, and this year they are carrying on with the same format. (Except for the fact that they don’t seem to be doing any at the moment because they’ve suspended everything)

My surgery tells me to make two appointments. One for the blood test with the phlebotomist and one for the review with the nurse where the results of the blood test are discussed.

Since before covid my practice has done the review first and then get given blood test form and got texted to say ok or call practice. At least now can see results online on system. I prefer old method of blood test first then can discuss results.

I had my bloods done just before Xmas , I declined the foot screening as I had it done earlier in the year. Don't know when I will get the nurse reviwe bit as they are between nurses at the moment apparently, as last one has left and need to advertise for another.

I always get the blood tests done first, then go in to see the nurse in the surgery.
Last year I declined the actual visit however as my bloods were ok, and I'm happy with everything else, this year I'll probably go and be weighed and prodded though.

It can be useful to have all the blood tests, BP and weight done prior to the review so that the DN can then discuss these with you, whilst also do a foot tickle test. For many people the test results are now available online so you have access to these so that you can also prepare for the review appointment.

Things have changed and sometimes the tests have not been as frequent for some, so it is great that you have been offered an appointment. I do not see the GP for any diabetes checks, but I am also under the care of the hospital for my pump so I know it may be different.

It can be useful to have all the blood tests, BP and weight done prior to the review so that the DN can then discuss these with you, whilst also do a foot tickle test. For many people the test results are now available online so you have access to these so that you can also prepare for the review appointment.

Things have changed and sometimes the tests have not been as frequent for some, so it is great that you have been offered an appointment. I do not see the GP for any diabetes checks, but I am also under the care of the hospital for my pump so I know it may be different.
I was surprised when the text arrived.The review usually is a telephone affair with the nursr.I give them my bp reading and weight, bmi etc. The foot thing I leave to them, but I keep an eye on feet and might give that a miss this year. Not too sure about covid etc.

I've not even had a foot check (diagnosed in March 21) but had 3 lots of bloods done and 3 weight checks etc the last one was 2 1/2 months after the bloods where they gave me a pneumonia vaccine and said see you in May. To be honest I've not got a clue whats what with them but my hba is now only 48 and cholesterol at 3.4 so I'm doing something right. (Ignoring the last week I won't tell if you don't).

Since before covid my practice has done the review first and then get given blood test form and got texted to say ok or call practice. At least now can see results online on system. I prefer old method of blood test first then can discuss results.
I would lean on the surgery to do it the other way round. Having a review without blood results is pointless and to be honest pretty stupid wasting both your time and the DNs

Exactly.

I recently had an appointment for 'Diabetic Review', the first for two years due to COVID etc. This consisted of weight, height, blood pressure & BMI check. They took bloods and urine sample then checked my feet. I now await a phone call to 'discuss the results' with the diabetic nurse on 11th Jan. It seems that different practices do things differently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back