Diabetes researchers catch misbehaving cells at the scene of the crime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Researchers have for the first time observed immune cells in the pancreas of a type 1 diabetes patient, allowing them to watch as the cells attack and destroy the body's insulin-producing molecules.

Dr Stuart Mannering, an immunologist at St Vincent's Institute of Medical Research, said the breakthrough was like catching the misbehaving immune cells at the scene of the crime.

The body's immune cells are not meant to attack the islet cells, which produce the insulin needed to regulate blood-sugar levels.

In type 1 diabetes patients, the islet cells, found in the pancreas, are mistakenly attacked by immune cells. Because the body cannot produce enough insulin, patients then have to administer insulin injections and carefully monitor their blood-sugar levels.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sc...t-the-scene-of-the-crime-20140825-1085s3.html

Interesting 🙂 So, what exactly is C-Peptide for, I've often wondered.

It's something to do with keeping blood vessels healthy. So possibly no coincidence that long-term D complications are all to do with dodgy blood vessels? 😱

I'm sure DeusXM has posted about this in detail somewhere but I can't find it at the moment!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back