Diabetes remission

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janice69

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
T2 diagnosed in 2011. Metformin 500mg daily until April last year. Major infection in leg caused sepsis, 7 weeks in hospital so taken off all medication apart from immediate life saving ones and pain relief.

Upon release from hospital I've followed my own healthy lifestyle and diet. This does not include any low fat products or anything with trans fats. I eat too many carbs in the form of bread and other flour based products for this to count as low carb. I do sometimes eat sugar in cakes or something else I may have cooked with sugar but not often.

My HbA1c results over the last 18 months have been really good to the point that the diabetic nurse is talking about remission. I haven't lost weight and am considered morbidly obese. I am "on the pathway" for bariatric surgery and expect to have this later this year.

So do you think avoiding all the hidden sugars in the low fat options that I used to choose can have made this much difference?

What have your Hba1c results been over the past 18 months Janice? Would give an idea of whether your progress represents 'remission' or just very good control.

Glad to hear you're doing well though.

Between 40 and 43.

T2 diagnosed in 2011. Metformin 500mg daily until April last year. Major infection in leg caused sepsis, 7 weeks in hospital so taken off all medication apart from immediate life saving ones and pain relief.

Upon release from hospital I've followed my own healthy lifestyle and diet. This does not include any low fat products or anything with trans fats. I eat too many carbs in the form of bread and other flour based products for this to count as low carb. I do sometimes eat sugar in cakes or something else I may have cooked with sugar but not often.

My HbA1c results over the last 18 months have been really good to the point that the diabetic nurse is talking about remission. I haven't lost weight and am considered morbidly obese. I am "on the pathway" for bariatric surgery and expect to have this later this year.

So do you think avoiding all the hidden sugars in the low fat options that I used to choose can have made this much difference?

Sounds like you are doing very well Janice 🙂 What was your HbA1c at diagnosis? The low dose of metformin suggests that you may have been a bit borderline'. It sounds like avoiding all those 'hidden' carbs in the low fat options have certainly contributed to your improved levels. Have you tried doing a food diary and recording the amount of carbs in everything you eat and drink? This will give you a realistic view of the amount of carbs in your diet generally 🙂 Well done on adapting your diet and improving your levels! 🙂

Sounds like a brilliant result. 🙂 Whatever you are doing is working for you, so keep doing it. IMHO diabetes cannot be cured at the moment but there can be good control which stops the disorder getting any worse. If you went back to your previous lifestyle you might be in trouble again as there is clearly a disposition to this disorder. You have done really well and should be proud of your achievement. Well done! 🙂

I was in hospital when diagnosed with an HbA1c of 51 but I had a severe infection and had taken a prescription course of steroids about a month earlier. This was August 2011. A month or so later the diagnosis was confirmed by my GP with a fasting glucose test and a glucose tolerance test. I don't know the figures from these tests.

The GP who told me I was diabetic said that if I followed all the advice I should have a normal lifespan. My comment was that if was good at following advice I wouldn't be overweight and have T2 diabetes in the first place. My next HbA1c was 46.

I now truly think it wasn't laziness and greed caused me to become overweight and diabetic. The emphasis on low fat diets pimped by the NHS and the cynical chasing of profits by the food industry have a lot to answer for. Together with my own metabolic system and potential genetic pre-disposition. Perfect storm really.

When I was first diagnosed I felt ashamed because I thought I'd brought it on myself. Well now it looks as if I was borderline anyway and I feel much more resilient about the fat hatred in the press, etc. Thanks for the opportunity to talk about how I feel about it, I don't think I've done that before.

@Janice69 - Your signature suggests you were diagnosed in 2008, whilst you've confirmed 2011 twice. Would it be worth marrying the dates up, to avoid confusion? Are you still on Metformin?

I know you say you don't low carb, do you watch what you eat, and how do you feel about your potential bariatric surgery?

Well done on getting the numbers down, however you did it.

Apologies for the confusion, diagnosis definitely 2011, the compound dislocated ankle break was 2008. I'll change my signature.

To answer your other questions....

I do watch what I eat but I always have done. I cook from scratch but my portion sizes are probably too large.
I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables. I eat three meals a day and don't do much in the way of snacking. We don't have things like crisps, biscuits, sweets or salted nuts in the house.

I am apprehensive but also grateful for the chance of the barbaric surgery. I've tried several times over the years and never managed to sustain weight loss. I had a serious ankle break in 2008 followed by a bone infection that has restricted my mobility to the point where I have a blue badge so going for a brisk walk is not an option. So I'm not looking forward to it but I really think losing the extra person in weight that I need to lose will help in all sorts of ways.

Oh, and no, I take no diabetes medication.

Janice, so many people have had their lives transformed by bariatric surgery, so although you may be apprehensive, in the months following surgery that apprehension could turn to joy. Just keep that in mind.

On the counter point, bariatric surgery doesn't work for everyone. Someone I know lost that whole person she had been carrying, but has managed to regain all of that person again. It's a very complex process and requires lifestyle and dietary changes as well as surgery.

There are also some potentially horrid, potential complications; short, medium and long term after this class of surgery that should be understood before embarking upon it.

Of course, as someone preferring to avoid any intervention in my bodily functions; whether medical or surgical, unless absolutely necessary, I may be viewing the prospect differently. I've also never been seriously overweight, or had any co-morbidities, so have no experience in all that those factors bring.

I guess it all comes down to personal choice, but to me that personal choice has to be from a factually informed basis and not seduction by potential end-game.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do @Janice69 .

Before I had bariatric surgery, I would see what Professor Taylor is doing. He is using the 900 calorie postoperative diet. Without the surgery and getting very good results with T2 and weight loss.
Newcastle diet aims in 8+ weeks to mimic the rate of ~70% remission, for surgery T2
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/
Newcastle diet Lectures
http://www.fend-lectures.org/index.php?menu=view&id=94

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/events/public-lectures/item.php?roy-taylor-diabetes

My personal preference is LCHF.
A friend on the forums has lost 50lb is 3mths and discontinued insulin on this diet (20g carb 80g protein and fats to get up to 1600 cal)
http://au.atkins.com/new-atkins/the-program/phase-1-induction.html

the first week was terrible for me and her, but it is worth it
what to expect the first week, besides being hungry for the first 2 days, then it stops
https://www.verywell.com/getting-through-the-first-week-2242037

Last edited:
Thank you for your responses but the surgery decision has been made. I don't consider it an easy option or an answer to all my problems but I have been researching and gathering advice for a long time. I have tried every diet going, I know they do not achieve sustainable weight loss for me long term. I know surgery involves major lifestyle changes and there is a risk that weight can be regained. I see it is the only choice left to me because every attempt if have made has ended up with one step backwards and two forwards as far as increasing weight is concerned.

I have even had psychiatric consultations. I do not need further diet education, I could write a flipping book myself.

My original question was about low fat products and their promotion by the food industry and health professionals even when these products often have more sugar than full fat versions. What is the forum's opinion on this?

I completely understand your situation. I've spent years on various 'diets'. Weightwatchers, Slimming World, Cambridge et al helped me to lose weight, but their very nature also helped me to put it all back on again...plus a bit more each time. I also reached the conclusion that nothing short of surgical intervention would help me. Happily, I decided to make a last ditch attempt to lose weight without surgery. Instead of aiming for the fastest results (something I'd always done on previous diets) I accepted that it would take time. 16 months on LCFF has delivered amazing results. The main and extremely noticeable advantage is that cutting carbs has completely eliminated the rollercoaster BG ride that drove me to constantly binge. I definitely think that people like you and I should avoid the so called 'healthy' low fat foods. As you say, they're often stuffed full of carbs to make them tasty and it's carbs that fuel the virtually uncontrollable desire to eat more and more and more. Looking at various options for your post-op eating plan is eminently sensible. I would urge you to consider cutting carbs for long term success. I also like the mantra 'eat real food, not too much, mostly veg'.

I have chronic pancreatitis, so of necessity I have to follow a low fat diet, but because of the reasons you cite, I never buy 'low fat' ready made stuff because of the extra sugars and starchy carbs. This doesn't always apply - Hellmans 'light' Mayo is light because they've added water and charge you more, and Philadelphia Light because they've added fresh air and charge you more. I echo the "eat real" sentiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back