Diabetes Public Engagement Project- Royal College of Art

Status
Not open for further replies.

james.gilpin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Diabetes Public Engagement Project- Royal College of Art- Get involved

Being Better?

I am a designer researcher in the final throws of my Masters at the Royal College of Art

My department works with the design and application of emerging technologies and their possible effects on society. I have been working with various researchers involved in developing biomedical devices specifically targeted at aiding in the management of diabetes.

As a type one diabetic patient my self i have been drawing on my own personal experiences and those of the care professionals i work with to manage the condition.

forumIMG.png

Designers often refer to people as users, or sometimes as consumers. In Design Interactions, we prefer to think of both users and designers as, first and foremost, people. That is, we see ourselves as complex individuals moving through an equally complex, technologically mediated, consumer landscape. As different electronic and computing technologies increasingly pervade our lives, there is a growing need for products and systems that are approachable and enjoyable, as well as useful.

My projects are speculative and only show possible effects of new biomedical devices but I would like for anything that references diabetes directly to be an accurate representation of people?s experiences and events. The diagram below shows how I attempt to position my work across a spectrum of possible futures.
DI_speculatieMap.jpg

Please take a look at this link (http://www.jamesgilpin.com/diabetes_gilpin.html ) to see project outlines of my three current streams of work. It would be really great to get your feedback and personal experiences.

I am also looking for people that might like to be featured in a short film piece that I am creating to tell the above stories so if you would like to be involved in this part of the project please do get in touch.
Thanks,

James

Last edited:
this is really interesting stuff james ....i will have a proper look at it all when its not so late and come back to you with some thoughts ...good luck 🙂

i am always up for anything that will help ........well almost anything lol !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back