Diabetes patients test effectiveness of insulin pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Diabetes patients have joined a trial to assess the effectiveness of pumps which deliver insulin directly into the body.

Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge has recruited 1,000 diabetics to assess whether the pumps are more effective than daily multiple injections.

Nearly three million people in the UK have been diagnosed with diabetes and it is estimated another 850,000 people have the condition but have not been diagnosed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-16355299
(video)

I would have thought there is already sufficient data/experience to show that pumps are more effective and flexible than MDI, and really it's just a cost issue that stops everyone who would benefit from getting one. :confused:

Maybe they want to eliminate the effect of having to learn carb counting and takign a keener interest as a pre-requisite for pumping.

I suspect a lot of HbA1c's would have come down anyway, had the patients been given the intensive education that often comes before a pump (eg. DAFNE, 1-2-1 with DSN, etc).

Perhaps they want to isolate the pump as a tool so that a figure can be put on it for justification. It may be that less pumps will be issued as a result but it may also show the benefit of better training and more DSN's for MDI.

All the NHS then has to do is to act upon it. 🙄

Rob

One of the criterias of being able to have a pump at my hospital is that you have to have attended a DAFNE course first . I am one case that proves the pump work better , my Hba1c has halfed and my general health has improved because of it

Last edited:
Well - so it is round here but OTOH wherever you live and whther you want to pump or not - I think it should be utterly compulsory for every T1.

Plus I think that employers should be made to give you the time off, because as far as I'm concerned it's essential for all of us.

I notice that they confuse the issue yet again by this statement:

Nearly three million people in the UK have been diagnosed with diabetes and it is estimated another 850,000 people have the condition but have not been diagnosed.

rather than referring to the number of people with diabetes currently on MDI, which is no doubt a significantly smaller number than 3m. 🙄

Is the trial using patients who have never used a insulin pump before:confused: the article doesn't say

Plus I think that employers should be made to give you the time off, because as far as I'm concerned it's essential for all of us.

Again very lucky here , hos gave me a letter and because im only 3 days a week gave me time off and a man i work with only had to use 2 days hol as he full time .But i know a lot of diabetics arent so lucky with their employers :(

odd that it's only a 2 year trial as well.
What are they going to do with the pumps after? The pump has a 4 year warranty.

It's a bit like stick yer finger in the air to see which way the wind's blowing, with this kinda reportage.

The Safety and Insurance industries all had to add on something for 'incurred, but not reported yet' claims - abbreviated to IBNR.

Someone from RoSPA once said we ought also to add on for IBN E R claims - incurred and reported, but not ENOUGH reported. When the 'Cut wrist' suddenly became the 'Hand completely amputated at the wrist' scenario. LOL

This defo falls into the N E R category!

Yes I think it is as Rob said to separate out intensive education and pumps ..but also there is concern that PCTs often say there is not enough robust evidence for pumps and it is hoped that these trials will provide this...I must say that I often see Sloevenian studies quoted or anecdotal evidence..

http://www.sth.nhs.uk/news/news?action=view&newsID=299

I have seen discussions about this and the feeling is that Professor Simon Heller is pro-pump and these trials will be of benefit to those having difficulty obtaining a pump...fingers crossed..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back