Diabetes on Oprah

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentAssassin1642

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I came across this at Six Until Me this morning - apparently diabetes was featured on Oprah last night...and guess what? They got it wrong and made general statements across the board stating that all diabetes was caused by lack of excersise and being overweight. It makes me so MAD 😡

http://sixuntilme.com/blog2/2010/02/oprah_does_diabetes.html

Yeah I heard it was bad! and they were trying so hard to get her to listen via twitter - telling her PLEASE GET IT RIGHT! But I guess they weren't listening :(

I don't really want to watch because it sounds like they made diabetes sound very bleak. I probably will though.

i think i might watch it and then write a rather choicely worded letter to her and her PR team...

I came across this at Six Until Me this morning - apparently diabetes was featured on Oprah last night...and guess what? They got it wrong and made general statements across the board stating that all diabetes was caused by lack of excersise and being overweight. It makes me so MAD 😡

OMG thats fairly typical & just so unhelpful. Sounds like my Dr, I walk in "loose weight, do excercise" never once did he ask how much excercise I did anyway or what I ate until I had a tantrum at him! (yes I am 1st overweight but I do loads of excercise)

Again with the black & white statements, shades of grey people! And for someone as influencial as Oprah to be saying that is just irrisponsible (sp?) & completely unfair

Dr. Oz: “The amount of insulin you have to take depends on how bad your diabetes is.”

Looks like ive got it bad!

Well despite being on insulin for over four decades I was told the other day I was Type II as I was over 40. Apparently children get Type I and pensioners suffer from "elderly" diabetes. Who puts this rubbish about?

What makes it even worse is programmes and celebs like Oprah are used to get important messages across.

And incase anyone hasn't noticed, Oprah is Harpo (like the Marx brother) spelled backwards...

Well despite being on insulin for over four decades I was told the other day I was Type II as I was over 40. Apparently children get Type I and pensioners suffer from "elderly" diabetes. Who puts this rubbish about?

It must be like a Logan's Run type thing, and as soon as you get to 40 with T1, you just no longer exist. 😡

I look forward to the day that I grown out of my diabetes 😉

I look forward to the day that I grown out of my diabetes 😉

Just like I look forward to the day I get skinny and "cured"! 😉

I know I'm new to diabetes, but it still upsets me that people could do something so badly, and make the different types of diabetics resent each other.

Yep, I'm fat, but even if I was thin I'd have got type 2 at some point. I already feel guilty enough without hearing people harp on about how lucky I am that I can cure myself!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back