Diabetes, my 25 year journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven142

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello, I wonder if I could point you in the direction of my Diabetes Blog, it has been a long and traumatic journey for me, and I hope my experience will be of help to others and a warning to those who don't take this condition seriously enough like me.
It makes unpleasant viewing and my situation has been extreme at times, it is vividly graphic and I give you fair warning. I am happy to answer questions to anyone who contacts me.

WARNING: This blog contains some very strong images that some will find upsetting.

https://diabetesulcersandamputations.wordpress.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve, I can't imagine what it must have been like to experience this, I'm very sorry you have been through it :( I hope that things will now improve for you, if there is anything we can do to help, please let us know.

Thanks for sharing your story Steve. Really sorry to hear about what you have gone through, but it goes to show how serious conditions can develop very quickly.

It’s great that people like you are being open and feel able to share their experiences. There’s a bit of a movement about this, lead by ‘the grumpy pumper’ on Twitter to break down the stigma and taboos and allow/encourage people to #talkaboutcomplications

Complications are a hazard of what we have, not a failing of what we do.

Thank you for being so honest. When I was diagnosed there was a lovely lady on my ward who got some terrible news. Her reaction will haunt my nightmares forever. They had to remove a whole leg are where not sure how much of her other she would keep. She was no age at all. It’s such a horrible beast :(

Complications may well be a hazard of what we have, and not a failing, but there is doubt that maintaining a low HbA1c reduces the incidence of such complications. If that were not the case, why bother?

Complications may well be a hazard of what we have, and not a failing, but there is doubt that maintaining a low HbA1c reduces the incidence of such complications. If that were not the case, why bother?

Absolutely! But I think it's important to be open about complications and to reduce stigma. Two people who both try just as hard can have very different results. And two people with identical HbA1cs can have very different likelihoods of developing complications. Each of us will do our best to balance effort-in-managing-diabetes against BG outcomes, along with all that life throws at us to try to end up with something that resembles living a life.

As you say it's all about reducing our own risk, as much as we are able.

Wow. @Steven142 , what a journey. And a harrowing read. Thank you for sharing. I can't begin to imagine how your life has changed. It really hits home how destructive the ol' devilbetes can be. And although you're not sharing to gain sympathy, I really do feel for you and wish you all the best. You've had more than your fair share.

Let's hope your story hits home to anyone thinking they can 'ignore' their diabetes.

And I can't write a response without passing a comment on your humour – despite being an awful subject, I found myself smiling at your wry wit. Your ability to to share humour in amongst the trauma and frustration is, i'm sure what will be helping you to deal with it all. Life would be very dull indeed without the ability to make people smile! I hope you never loose that my friend!

Please stay in touch and keep us updated with your progress x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back