Diabetes may start in the intestines, research suggests

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Scientists at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis have made a surprising discovery about the origin of diabetes. Their research suggests that problems controlling blood sugar ? the hallmark of diabetes ? may begin in the intestines.

The new study, in mice, may upend long-held theories about the causes of the disease. Because insulin is produced in the pancreas and sugar is stored in the liver, many scientists have looked to those organs for the underlying causes of diabetes.

http://news.wustl.edu/news/Pages/23409.aspx

Interesting; at one time they were linking gastric-flu type events with a slightly later DX of T1 - and I had an attack of that in the Feb/March prior to when I was DX in the July. Haven't seen anything recently though ....

I think I must be the exception to the rule because my gut is normally (and always has been) cast iron. I don't recall any gastric problems as a teenager and certainly nothing in recent years.

Rob

So is mine Rob - always was! so to be that ill, in so much pain and actually having to call the Dr out to me instead of me going to the Drs - I mean we'd been registered with them 12 months and never set foot in the place - so to have to ring up and say No I can't get down there, was a tad embarrassing. To say the least.

I'd had my job for 5 years then and never ever had a single day off sick before either!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back