Diabetes may be the least of my problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwynn

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just been doing a deeper analysis of 'wide pulse pressure' because my pulse is always very low and that made me curious about my blood pressure stuff.

Well, what I discovered is that for half the time (I take readings many times a day) I have 'narrow pulse pressure'. No pattern over the day except it is usually lower at 4pm.

The internet seems to imply that that is bad news of the deadly sort. I may have to go see a doctor. Hmmm.

The odd thing is that I suffer no other effects at all from it. So it could be nothing to worry about.

Lowest value calculated was 21. That is very low. Alarmingly low. The alarm bells start ringing at 40.

Of course it could be test equipment failure or reading tolerance except that it has happened too often and too consistantly for that to be asensible consideration.

Of course I could have just plain got it all wrong!!!

Any thoughts?

So this is the difference between systolic and diastolic readings yes?

What type of equipment are you measuring your blood pressure with?

The alarm bells start ringing at 40
I thought "normal" was 30-40, and the worry-level is when it's < 25% of systolic?

Anyway, 21 presumably is below that. I'd def go see my doc about it.

This prompted me to check my BP as I’ve not done it in a while.

106/77

I’ll check at least once a day (if not the recommended twice) for a while as I’m expecting a GP appointment in the near future after sending off an E-consult about side effects from my esciptalopram (side effects I’ve had for years but never been motivated to report and do something about until now).

Been to see the doctor today. Got an instant appointment once I had explained things.

My App graphs proved really useful.

I have several new tests to be done early March.

Point to note: narrow pulse pressure is a possible indicator of heart failure and my mother died of heart failure. Hence the interedt !

Been to see the doctor today. Got an instant appointment once I had explained things.

My App graphs proved really useful.

I have several new tests to be done early March.

Point to note: narrow pulse pressure is a possible indicator of heart failure and my mother died of heart failure. Hence the interedt !
Good work. Hope you get things sorted quickly.

Morning, I read your post which prompted me to immediately investigate my own pulse pressure. I have low blood pressure when resting and it’s not in uncommon for me to be at around 90/60 or even lower. After taking various readings I had pulse pressures between 26 and 50. After having a little read and I may be totally wrong but it’s more the percentage of each reading you should be looking at. So say your blood pressure is 90/60 the pulse pressure should not be less than 25% of the systolic. So 25% of 90 is 22. The pulse pressure of 90/60 is 30 so that would be good. The higher the pressure the higher the percentage. The recommended is pp of 40 because the average BP is 120/80. Are you resting after 4pm? This may be when your blood pressure drops lower and therefore the percentage would decrease, higher blood pressure and pulse pressure are slightly more problematic on most things I’ve read. I hope im making sense. Please try not to worry xx

Thanks for that. I agree no lower than 25% of systolic. I will amend my analysis and see what that shows.

My pulse is always low too. Usually in the low 50's and occasionally the low 40's. Just very occasionally it pops into the normal range.

I will get back here with the new results later on.

Right, new analysis done.

Checked on the interthing and 'the result should be greater than 40' was misleading and it looks like it could have been wrong.

It is amazing how misunderstanding something can cause so much worry. Lesson learned.

The result is in and it is completely different from the previous analysis

Out of 840 test readings over the last year only 4 are indicating a narrow pulse pressure. All four were within 2% of the 25% mark. Zero indicate a wide pulse pressure.

On the previous analysis (which I gleaned from the internet) the result was half of the readings were indicating LPP.

I am grateful that the NHS took notice but surprised that the GP didn't mention the 25% as the cut off point. However, I suspect that this is an unusual subject and therefore may not be fully understood. I certainly had no idea.

I shall give them a ring on Monday, appologise and cancel the appointments.

I feel rather foolish now.

So, thanks EmmaL76 all is good again.

So today turned out good after a difficult start.

Ahh Gwynn, I’m so pleased you have been encouraged your new workings out. Don’t feel foolish, most of the reports I saw mentioned between 40 and 60, so I had to delve a little deeper. My health anxiety means that i constantly find new ways I’m dying then I set about debunking them. It’s practically my day job! Thing is we’re are learning things that give us to tools to stay healthy for longer. I hope you have a lovely weekend xx

Yup I have just had another look around and there are definitelly two different sets of criterion out there. I wonder why.

The 25% one seems more logical to me rather than absolutes applying to everyone.

So perhaps I should keep the appointments, or, as you suggest, not to worry about it. Especially as there are no associated symptoms.

Well it’s not going to do any harm to keep the appointment. Explain your were a bit concerned due to conflicting information online.

No doubt about it that the internet is very useful. However I've never actually been tempted to rely on Dr Google for my health!

No doubt about it that the internet is very useful. However I've never actually been tempted to rely on Dr Google for my health!
Had a GP once called Dr Gerry Ogle.

Yup I have just had another look around and there are definitelly two different sets of criterion out there. I wonder why.

The 25% one seems more logical to me rather than absolutes applying to everyone.

So perhaps I should keep the appointments, or, as you suggest, not to worry about it. Especially as there are no associated symptoms.
Keep the appointment. Let them check everything out and just double check. You keep meticulous data and that’s going to be useful I’m sure but let them just reassure you.

Ok will do. Good advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back