Diabetes magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

spell

Why does the diabetes UK magazine lump all diabetics, 1and 2.
It always seems to be full of shiny happy people and does not cover the ones in a real sh**storm of a predicament.the advice page from the doctors is just cr*p.
It only seems to be all about success stories and not complete failures like me.
They really need to cover all aspects of living with this poo.
They are out of touch with the real stress of living with this disease, it only seems to have advice for people succeeding.
Some people really can't live with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps you should send them a message @spell to suggest coverage of some of the more difficult aspects of living with diabetes.

But I can see that editorially it might be seen as more helpful to aim for positive slant on even the difficult stories, such as living with complications. But honesty and reality are important too - and it‘s important that all experiences of living with diabetes are represented.

I’ve just scanned the cover stories of a few back issues, and while they seem to be framed with a positive start, I can see stories relating to anxiety, difficulties coming to terms with diagnosis, depression, relationship challenges, teenage treatment problems, mental health problems, kidney failure, disability, discrimination, and potentially life-threatening hypos.

But I’m sure they would value your feedback to balance at diabetes dot org dot uk

It always seems to be full of shiny happy people and does not cover the ones in a real sh**storm of a predicament.the advice page from the doctors is just cr*p.
It only seems to be all about success stories and not complete failures like me.
They are out of touch with the real stress of living with this disease, it only seems to have advice for people succeeding.

If you were a complete failure, you wouldn't be here on a wet Sunday afternoon.
You wouldn't be reading the magazine.
And, yes, there are happy shiny people that turned it around.
But no one jumped for joy when they were diagnosed, I reckon most of us cried in the waiting room after. Even them.

But, that's the hand we were dealt.
I can't turn mine in, all I can do is play it out.
You're intelligent, you're here for support, the magazine may be happy and shiny, but this is the boiler room, not the captain's lounge.
Everyone here can help you, and they certainly want to.

I don't bother reading the magazine any more, just goes straight to the recycling.
After years of disengagement and disinterest I can't see a way back.
Anyone know how to get engaged again from this slow inevitable deaths sentence

Arthur Ashe made this suggestion:

“Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can.“

Take small steps, whatever you can manage - and expect knock backs I guess.

Give yourself credit for engaging here. That’s one small step right there.

Don’t give up. Keep going.

It would also be of benefit if Diabetes magazine if it were to come to realise that there is such a thing as Type 3c, now more common than Type 1. That has its own particular problems for those who have it because of the abnormal absorption of food provided by Creon. Just adds a few surprises to your control. That said, I don't regard Diabetes as an inevitable death sentence. I will die with diabetes, not because of it.

I don't bother reading the magazine any more, just goes straight to the recycling.

Life is a slow death sentence.
To be honest, I've always told my kids I want to see what kills me head on.
So, it's not going to be diabetes.
My brother wants to die quietly in his sleep though, so I guess we are all different.

You walked down the path you’re on @spell and you can walk back. You might not reach the Shiny Happy People stage (and very few do, I think) but you can walk back a little step by step towards a more balanced place.

You’re no weaker than any of us. Please don’t think we’re all merrily skipping along holding hands with the diabetes like it’s a friend. It is a struggle sometimes. Just keep on going. Any tiny improvement or step is a success.

You walked down the path you’re on @spell and you can walk back. You might not reach the Shiny Happy People stage (and very few do, I think) but you can walk back a little step by step towards a more balanced place.

You’re no weaker than any of us. Please don’t think we’re all merrily skipping along holding hands with the diabetes like it’s a friend. It is a struggle sometimes. Just keep on going. Any tiny improvement or step is a success.

Very true.

I fully agree. Life is s**t with diabetes. I understand why the magazine tries to put a positive spin on the things we can do rather than the things we can't do but there is very little coverage of the downfalls, depression, tiredness and frustration when things are not going right.
Diabetes UK Please cover this angle too it is also important for those of us who read the magazine to know we are not the only ones having a really s**t experience of living with diabetes. Life it not a bed of roses.

If you were a complete failure, you wouldn't be here on a wet Sunday afternoon.
You wouldn't be reading the magazine.
And, yes, there are happy shiny people that turned it around.
But no one jumped for joy when they were diagnosed, I reckon most of us cried in the waiting room after. Even them.

But, that's the hand we were dealt.
I can't turn mine in, all I can do is play it out.
You're intelligent, you're here for support, the magazine may be happy and shiny, but this is the boiler room, not the captain's lounge.
Everyone here can help you, and they certainly want to.
Being a complete failure is why forums exist,so yes I am here as a complete failure
So please stop assuming and saying I can't be a complete failure just because I am here

Being a complete failure is why forums exist,so yes I am here as a complete failure
So please stop assuming and saying I can't be a complete failure just because I am here

Why am I assuming anything?
We just have a different definition of "compete failure"
Everything is in the eye of the beholder.

I recently read some research about the importance of positive thinking.
A group of medical students were split into two. One team spent a term studying dementia and lack of mobility with old age. The other spent that term learning about older people who had used techniques to stay more mobile and alert.
The team studying dementia had a significantly more absences due to illness than the other team.
Another study looked at the "body age" at a cellular level of 50 year olds who felt as if they were 70 and 70 years old who felt they were 50. The "body age" of the latter group was noticeably younger.

I am not saying the magazine should ignore the "harsh" stories - diabetes can kill. But I think this research I mentioned shows the value of the positive stories.

Some time ago, I felt there were two categories of stories - people who were really struggling and incredibly inspirational people. As someone who doesn't feel they struggle or are inspirational, I felt there was no one like me covered: people who live their normal lives and just happen to have diabetes.

I concluded we are all different.

You said i can't be a complete failure if I'm here

"Being a complete failure is why forums exist"

I'm here, and I know I'm not.
Everyone is here because they made an active choice to be.
It may not seem a big first step, but it's a step.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back