Diabetes & lowered immunity

Status
Not open for further replies.

DancingStar

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Does having diabetes affect our immune systems? I'm type 3c. I'm asking because I'm wondering if I should have a Covid booster, which I think is only available to those over a certain age or with lowered immunity.

Does having diabetes affect our immune systems? I'm type 3c. I'm asking because I'm wondering if I should have a Covid booster, which I think is only available to those over a certain age or with lowered immunity.
As far as I know; no, what will is having covid injections in my opinion. I take vitamin D and can honestly say I have not had so much as a cold in over two years or caught covid despite being exposed to it numerous times.

In my mind Type 1 diabetes does not mean I have lower immunity.
One auto-immune condition like Type 1 is often accompanied by others. These may be more risky wrt covid. But I do not have asthma or any such condition so am not looking for a covid booster.
I caught covid last month. I have had worse colds.

I know little about Type 3c and I am not a HCP. If your condition is not auto immune, is there a reason why you think it makes you more susceptible?

Diabetes (T1 and T2) weakens the immune system in various ways (That I don't understand.) which is why I was offered a pneumonia vaccination shortly after diagnosis,

My first AZ covid jab altered my immune system for the worse and these days a cough or cold is not something to be lived with. I used to bite my nails, but not any more as even with all the hand cleanser, I got infections in my fingers. Somewhat concerning but I adapt and hope for better to come.

People with diabetes were deemed to be more at risk of a serious reaction to covid, so people with diabetes were ’bumped up’ the covid jab rankings during the rollout of the vaccines.

But we were never in the ‘high risk‘ category like people who were immuno-compromised. So we were ’clinically vulnerable’, but not ‘extremely vulnerable’ (or whatever the terms ended up being!).

So simply living with diabetes doesn’t mean you meet the criteria for the Spring 2023 vaccination programme:

I don't think my diabetes impacts my immune system however I do think that if my BG is too high then I'm more prone to various random illnesses.

Having diabetes doesn't affect your immune system so don't worry. 🙂
Having badly managed diabetes would affect how you would respond to covid or any other infection/virus though

I don't think my diabetes impacts my immune system however I do think that if my BG is too high then I'm more prone to various random illnesses.

Er, that’s because hypers mess up the immune system:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back