Diabetes is scary

Status
Not open for further replies.

vivi74uk

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I'm Amanda is newly diagnosed as diabetic. Not really had any advice from my Dr or nurse. Just tablets to manage my blood sugar. It was 100 then 85, maybe it'll get lower still.
I said to my Dr I'm stuffed then, diabetes is in the family, I have under active thyroid and severe obstructive sleep apnea. She asked how was I feeling, I answered "scared".

Hi, I'm Amanda is newly diagnosed as diabetic. Not really had any advice from my Dr or nurse. Just tablets to manage my blood sugar. It was 100 then 85, maybe it'll get lower still.
I said to my Dr I'm stuffed then, diabetes is in the family, I have under active thyroid and severe obstructive sleep apnea. She asked how was I feeling, I answered "scared".
Yes it’s scary but you’re not “stuffed” by any stretch of the imagination.
Did the doctor give you any suggestions on what to do to help lower your BG numbers?

There is diabetes in my family, both sides, I have a CPAP machine to keep me breathing when asleep, I take Thyroxine as my thyroid failed and I had a Hba1c of 91 at diagnosis in 2016.
I got no help from my GP, just tablets which made me feel really dreadful.
I eat a low carb diet, my Type 2 diabetes is in remission, my Thyroxine is being reduced bit by bit and my apnoea is not so bad as my weight reduces.
Nothing to be afraid of.

My Dr gave me no advice, I walk an average of 11000 steps daily and go to a dance class. My diet is 50/50 good /bad.
She just put me on meds to help what my body does with sugars.

Scary yes, it can really feel that way at first when dumped with the diagnosis, medication and littlte to no information.

I take thyoxine every day too following an operation on a brain tumour (recovered!)

Me at diagnosis HbA1c 140, insulin injections, meds, zero information. Scared, you betcha.

BUT, I found exactly the right help on this forum, worked out what I wanted to try, tried it, got into remission. Never looked back. Felt better and better.

What did I try. I decided to carefully watch what I ate by analysing everything, reduce my weight as much as I could by dieting sensibly, reducing carbohydrates to about 80 to 100g a day and no more, and eventually (but not initially) lots of exercise. I tested my blood sugar every single day too, several times each day. Came off the meds and insulin (not the thyroxine!) too after a month of utter chaos BG wise. Now, that was a scary time and a scary thing to do, but the diabetic nurse was fine with it.

I didn't initially do exercise because I couldn't. Too much pain. But I planned to when I felt able.

Scary yes, but taking control for myself eased the scariness totally. I didn't feel comfortable relying on the occasional, if that, view from a GP who may not know that much about diabetes or about me.

My fears over taking blood tests took a while to overcome. My fears over the odd unusual BG result took a while too. A BG result of below or above 5 made me feel very scared, but I discovered that my fears were ungrounded. The sky didn't cave in. I didn't become ill, or get hospitalised or die.

I also discovered that my life hadn't been 'stuffed'. In fact I discovered that my appreciation for food grew, my health got better, and I felt more and more well with much more energy.

The whole thing was a life style change, not just for a few weeks, so I just settled in to a new way of thinking and living, trying to improve things as I went.

And you know what, it worked. Things settled down, I began to lose weight, BG came back in range, I felt well.

So the scariness gave way to delight. Yes, delight at feeling so much better.

So, scary at first but it can and does get a whole lot better for many.

The secret is being able to take control AND working out for yourself (if you can) what will work for you.

There seem to be several messages on this forum that get repeated...

1. Everyone is different, reacts differently to different foods so you have to discover for yourself who you are and what works for you.
2. Testing using a blood test meter is key to help understand what is going on BG wise and food wise
3. Going low carb (diet wise) works for many (<125g Carbs a day)
4. Exercise helps lower BG and with insulin resistance issues
5. Losing a significant amount of weight helps many and in my case was crucial
6. Changing the life style is key to success
7. It is all a journey not a destination

Hope some of that helps.

It's ok and normal to feel scared at first, but its not ok to stay scared. Take control, small steps at first but expanding your control over your health one step at a time, if and when you can.

The wonderful people here can and will help if you ask. Without their help and support I would still be in a mess.

Good luck and, welcome to better health !

Scary yes, it can really feel that way at first when dumped with the diagnosis, medication and littlte to no information.

I take thyoxine every day too following an operation on a brain tumour (recovered!)

Me at diagnosis HbA1c 140, insulin injections, meds, zero information. Scared, you betcha.

BUT, I found exactly the right help on this forum, worked out what I wanted to try, tried it, got into remission. Never looked back. Felt better and better.

What did I try. I decided to carefully watch what I ate by analysing everything, reduce my weight as much as I could by dieting sensibly, reducing carbohydrates to about 80 to 100g a day and no more, and eventually (but not initially) lots of exercise. I tested my blood sugar every single day too, several times each day. Came off the meds and insulin (not the thyroxine!) too after a month of utter chaos BG wise. Now, that was a scary time and a scary thing to do, but the diabetic nurse was fine with it.

I didn't initially do exercise because I couldn't. Too much pain. But I planned to when I felt able.

Scary yes, but taking control for myself eased the scariness totally. I didn't feel comfortable relying on the occasional, if that, view from a GP who may not know that much about diabetes or about me.

My fears over taking blood tests took a while to overcome. My fears over the odd unusual BG result took a while too. A BG result of below or above 5 made me feel very scared, but I discovered that my fears were ungrounded. The sky didn't cave in. I didn't become ill, or get hospitalised or die.

I also discovered that my life hadn't been 'stuffed'. In fact I discovered that my appreciation for food grew, my health got better, and I felt more and more well with much more energy.

The whole thing was a life style change, not just for a few weeks, so I just settled in to a new way of thinking and living, trying to improve things as I went.

And you know what, it worked. Things settled down, I began to lose weight, BG came back in range, I felt well.

So the scariness gave way to delight. Yes, delight at feeling so much better.

So, scary at first but it can and does get a whole lot better for many.

The secret is being able to take control AND working out for yourself (if you can) what will work for you.

There seem to be several messages on this forum that get repeated...

1. Everyone is different, reacts differently to different foods so you have to discover for yourself who you are and what works for you.
2. Testing using a blood test meter is key to help understand what is going on BG wise and food wise
3. Going low carb (diet wise) works for many (<125g Carbs a day)
4. Exercise helps lower BG and with insulin resistance issues
5. Losing a significant amount of weight helps many and in my case was crucial
6. Changing the life style is key to success
7. It is all a journey not a destination

Hope some of that helps.

It's ok and normal to feel scared at first, but its not ok to stay scared. Take control, small steps at first but expanding your control over your health one step at a time, if and when you can.

The wonderful people here can and will help if you ask. Without their help and support I would still be in a mess.

Good luck and, welcome to better health !
WoW that’s quite a story @Gwynn didnt realise your Hba1c was as high as 140 on diagnosis
this forum is so good for spreading inspiration.

Hi @vivi74uk
Welcome I’m sure you will soon pick up some great advice & tips on here

I can relate to Dr’s not really helping often it seems they don’t,
although to be fair the healthcare I’m currently receiving is quite good,
I’ve halved my HbA1c level over the last 18 months
you will see from peoples posts many have put diabetes into remission
I’m not at that point myself but that’s my goal

Wow Thank you everyone, I will be reading and gaining as much "ammo" to fight this.

Excellent. The best way forwards. No defeat. Its a battle you can win and you have a great attitude.

The start for me was reading up on what foods have what carbs. Learning. Learning. Learning.

Let us know how you get on. Any questions just post them on here. Someone will have good advice for you. No question is silly.

Hi and welcome
Great reply from Gwynn - couldn't be said better. Over the years I've known many diabetics who live full and active lives, from the 14 year old who played junior sport for England and is now a father in his 60's, to several of my friends. There are famous people who manage their condition daily - the actor Tom Hanks, rower Sir Steve Redgrave and Teresa May for example. I personally eat better and am much fitter now from following advice on this site. Best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back