Diabetes is nasty!

Status
Not open for further replies.

falcon123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have a distant cousin who has been Type I for over 30 years (since childhood). Yesterday I spoke with her father. She has a number of eye problems; retinopathy that needs treatment in the short term and cataracts needing treatment in the medium term. However at the end of last week her vision deteriorated suddenly in one eye. This turned out to be a detached retina that also caused retinal bleeding. Her usual consultant said there was nothing that could be done. After picking herself off the floor she did some research and is having major surgery on the eye tomorrow. This is being done privately. As she lives elsewhere in the EU this should not be taken as a comment on the NHS although the proposed cutbacks are worrying.

A friend of mine had cataracts and a detatched retina in her late-40s and was successfully treated on the NHS for it. She doesn't have diabetes, though, so not sure of the cause as she's otherwise very healthy.

Nice to see you back posting, by the way! 🙂

I know several people who have had ops for cataracts and detached retinas, all were very successful, including my mum who was 80 in January!

A friend of mine had an op for a detached retina in the early 80s. He's had no trouble since. I can't understand why the consultant would say nothing could be done. I'm glad she's getting the op anyway, but really!

As I understand it the issue was complicated by the retinal bleeding caused by the retinopathy. She was operated on yesterday but is I believe still in hospital. I should get an upddate later.

🙂hope all is good news falcon ...nice to see you back ...

This is the one thing that frightens me to tears is the 'eye' problems (pardon the pun). Being diabetic for nearly 30 years myself makes me even more concerned.

I nearly passed out when my eye inflamed and i had to go to A+E (thought i had something in it). Wasn't linked to the D but its just one of those things that I would rather my arm hang off than my eye be worked on!

Your friend is mighty brave and i hope that it is all working out well for her.

Bernie 🙂 xx

This is the one thing that frightens me to tears is the 'eye' problems (pardon the pun). Being diabetic for nearly 30 years myself makes me even more concerned.

I nearly passed out when my eye inflamed and i had to go to A+E (thought i had something in it). Wasn't linked to the D but its just one of those things that I would rather my arm hang off than my eye be worked on!

Your friend is mighty brave and i hope that it is all working out well for her.

Bernie 🙂 xx

It also scares me the most too.
Went for an eye test on wed, i need glasses now because i am concentating on this too hard, they took the pictures of the back of my eye, could use the drops cause of the baby, i really want the results back soon, its worrying.:confused:
I remember reading a story about a 25 year old woman who had got diabetes when she was about 17 and woke up one day and couldnt see, she did have bad control but stillit that short space of time its scary what damage can be done.
Hope your friend is ok 🙂 xx

I have heard nothing more today so fingers crossed no news is good news!

Got a message last night. She is now back home and the operation appears to have been successful. However it will be 4 - 6 weeks before they know how much sight (if any) has been lost.

Got a message last night. She is now back home and the operation appears to have been successful. However it will be 4 - 6 weeks before they know how much sight (if any) has been lost.

Good news at this stage - a nervous few weeks but I hope it turns out well 🙂

I got an update yesterday. Because of the surgery required it took a few weeks for everything to settle. Her vision is appears fully recovered and,in fact, the distance vision is better than before as a corrective lens implant was used. The cataract on the other eye will be treated in about four weeks. The surgeon was surprised that the retinopathy had not been treated earlier as it was the cause of the detached retina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back