Diabetes in the workplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoventryTrev

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Do your work colleagues know what to do if you have a hypo?
Many work places have first aiders but are they always available to help if needed? I'm sure there are times when no first aider is available due to annual leave or meetings etc.
I have suggested to my employer that we have a one page quick guide not just for diabetes but for heart attack and stroke. These can be placed in a prominent location on a wall.
Should a medical emergency occur, of course try and get hold of a first aider but these guides would have the patient get help a bit quicker.
Does anyone have these guides in their workplace?
Do DUK have a one page emergency guide?

Last edited:
Not aware of anything in my workplace. I don’t think it’s needed though. If I have a hypo I’ll fix it myself, same as I do at home (and I live alone). If I’m at work and not conscious I’m sure someone would call an ambulance which is all they can do, don’t want them putting things in your mouth.

Not aware of anything in my workplace. I don’t think it’s needed though. If I have a hypo I’ll fix it myself, same as I do at home (and I live alone). If I’m at work and not conscious I’m sure someone would call an ambulance which is all they can do, don’t want them putting things in your mouth.
I also wouldn't want someone to stuff my mouth with jelly babies but do they know that and instead to put you in the recovery position, call an ambulance and to stay with you until help arrives?

Where I worked, I was a first aider and we as a group never felt there was enough of us, but the number only took into account the number of staff not the thousands of students who were also there.
We were not allowed to call an ambulance directly and had to go through security who had an emergency number and were all first aid trained as well.
There were many occasions that we did need to have an ambulance or paramedic attend.

My diabetes is personal to me. I wouldn't want the whole company on edge in case I have a hypo. (I work in a smallish office and know all others with diabetes.)
Instead, I have told a few close colleagues to call an ambulance if I am not able to cope with a hypo and leave me be to manage it if I appear to be dealing with it. I would hope that is how they would deal with it anyway - it seems the most logical whether my fit or fainting or whatever was caused by diabetes or something unknown.
As others have said, trying to stuff jelly babies down my throat would be unhelpful and, if I could swallow, I could get the jelly babies myself.

I was living alone when I was first diagnosed and independence is incredibly important to me so I have prepared myself and, in nearly 20 years, I have only needed assistance once.

However, awareness of diabetes in the workplace is not a bad thing and I know some organisations set up talks or presentations about it. This is great because it gives an opportunity to explain the difference between Type 1 and 2, discuss treatment (maybe overcome some of the awkwardness of someone on a low carb diet refusing cake during celebrations), talk about personal wellbeing and what puts us more at risk of type 2 diabetes, as well as what to do if someone appears to be having a hypo.

I also wouldn't want someone to stuff my mouth with jelly babies but do they know that and instead to put you in the recovery position, call an ambulance and to stay with you until help arrives?
No idea where they would find jelly babies from or why they would put them in my mouth but confident that anyone at work, first aider or not, on finding me unconscious would ring 999 and stay with me until help arrived. 999 would give instructions to put in the recovery position if needed.

I work from home now. However, in an old job I had a card printed and laminated, with info like - Type One Diabetic, experiencing low blood sugar levels, please get a first aider or dial 999 and follow their advice. I had this in my top drawer to hand to someone if I could not sort it myself. I never needed it but knew it was there. I would imagine if I collapsed someone would have called 999 anyway.

Last time a colleague had a hypo, he was punching people, he went straight into the classic "drunk" hypo.
It took several of us to sort him out.
So yes, it was good that we knew.

Diabetes UK once produced this ‘housemate checklist’ which covers some of the same ground

And this booklet about supporting people with diabetes at work

Additionally, there’s also a bunch of content about diabetes and work-life here:

Last edited:
Most people at work are aware i am Type 1 and we have quite a few first aiders.

If i need to treat a hypo, i let someone know and usually go to the same place to sit quietly and sort myself out. People i work closely with check on me while i'm treating the hypo and i have never had any issues. When they check on me, its just to see i'm ok. I don't mind people knowing and so far have not needed any help to treat a hypo but they know where i keep my kit/JBs and i'm sure if i collapsed they would call 999

We did have a leaflet up in the staff room about hypos/hypers and what to look out for but that seems to have disappeared since the boards changed. I shall put another up when i get one.

Hi.

At my work we recently did our first aid refresher, the trainer has type 1 so she made sure colleagues know what to do when we type 1s have a hypo. It gave other a good understanding.

While on the topic of workplace can I ask how people manage day to day and adjustments employers have made to help. I work in a care setting and hate asking for support. My job is partly office based and supporting others with autism. Nine times out of ten meals times are easy but at times it doesn't work out.

Any advice would be really helpful.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back