Diabetes In Gaza

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyBikey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I do not know how many watched the documentary "Kill Zone : Inside Gaza" this evening? It did not make for easy viewing.

With most hospitals destroyed and shortages of many medications I did wonder how the diabetics were getting on? Somebody treated on insulin would probably only last a few days without it. Had anybody read it heard anything about the fate of diabetics.in Gaza?

Whilst many scenes were moving I particularly felt for two child amputees. One was a young girl who has lost a leg, the other a young boy who had lost both (and his parents)! I hope they are not suffering the degree of phantom pain I do although from amputees I have encountered it seems less prelevant in those who lose a limb through trauma.

It is all so harrowing . Apparantly one the hostages taken October is also diabetic.

I found a few blogs from people with Type 1 in Gaza from November last year but nothing more recent.
It seemed pretty bad last year and I am sure it is much worse now.
Here are a couple of the reports I have read
And something more recent about managing chronic conditions in Gaza

It sometimes makes me question about my relatively gung-ho attitude towards travel but hasn't stopped me yet. I would be avoiding war zones if I didn't have diabetes anyway. But there is always a small risk when away from home beyond being stuck somewhere longer than my backup supplies last.

It obviously affected me than I thought as scenes crept into my recurring nightmares! With what is going on in the world it is obvious that many do not learn the lessons of history!

We have various friends who work with MAP and UNWRA and yeah it’s really difficult for insulin dependent diabetics. Insulin is scarce and expensive and with no electricity to keep insulin cool that adds another level of issues. And obviously food and hygiene are a challenge too. I am very aware of how difficult it would be for our family if we were there with our various medical issues. There have been some mutual funds to get money for insulin and obviously MAP, UNWRA and other aid organisations are doing what they can to get supplies into Gaza but in the north especially it’s impossible at the moment.

It amazes me how resourceful Palestinians are. They managed to get dialysis back up and running in one (partially ruined) hospital last week. But getting any medical supplies in even basics of analgesics and anaesthetics is really hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back