Diabetes ID

sofaraway

What do you guys do for ID?

I wear a medic-alert bracelet and have worn it even since I started using insulin, it's hardly come off my wrist in over 2 1/2 years. the only time that I take it off is during football matches as the FA don't allow any type of jewelry. i put the wallet card in my wallet aswell. I've never needed it luckily but it;s reasurring to me and my partner that I have some form of ID on me.

been thinking of getting something new though anyone got any suggestions?

Copepod

Much missed Moderator
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
never used any ID jewelry

Sorry, no suggestion regarding ID jewelry, as I have never worn any jewelry of any type, except a wrist watch (obviously replaced by a fob watch when working as nurse), so I didn't get any ID jewelry when diagnosed (as a young adult). However, I keep an ID card in my wallet. The only time it might have been useful, when a car door knocked me off my bike and caused a 9cm gash in my upper arm and a buckled wheel, I was able to tell the person who rushed out of the house with a tea towel about diabetes, in case I fainted, which I didn't. Actually, NoK issue was interesting, as my partner was away sailing in the English Channel (and doesn't drive) and parents live 100 miles away, so I phoned our lodger, who kindly cycled to the hospital to bring my glasses and contact lenses case. I had all my insulin & meter kit with me. Then I phoned Mum, who came along to bring me home from hospital - even a 38 odd year old wants her Mum on the first (and only) admission to hospital.

aymes

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I've got some sillicone (like the charity bracelets you can get) in about 6 different colours that I bought online from America, so I have them to match each outfit! They just say diabetic on them then I have full id on my purse. I like them as they're nice and cheap ( I have a habit of breaking jewellery) and are hard wearing. I never found a proper medic alert one that I like the look of enough to wear everyday so I like to have different colours for some variety.

Happy to find the link if anyone is interested?

A

minniemo24

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi - there is a website called ice gems which sounds a bit naff but does medic alert bracelets in all different types for men and ladies. You can have what you want engraved on the medic alert disc and I found they provided a really good service. I am not connected to the website at all I just found it when looking around when I was diagnosed with Type 2 two years ago. It's worth a look.

Mad Asthmatic

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I wear a medic alert bracelet and have done for many years because of other conditions. The only time it comes off is I am ventilated in ICU, and I have the wallet card in my purse. I also carry a short medical history in my wallet, it fits on to a credit card sized piece of paper and I have had it laminated.

I always make sure that my medic alert details are up to date so if they are ever needed the correct information is given.

MA

Andy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I wear a gold type medi alert chain and tag around my neck with my name and diabetic on it. I must admit it was quite expensive but as I will be wearing it for the rest of my life I thought better to get something that looks quite good as well.

grahams mum

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
I've got some sillicone (like the charity bracelets you can get) in about 6 different colours that I bought online from America, so I have them to match each outfit! They just say diabetic on them then I have full id on my purse. I like them as they're nice and cheap ( I have a habit of breaking jewellery) and are hard wearing. I never found a proper medic alert one that I like the look of enough to wear everyday so I like to have different colours for some variety.

Happy to find the link if anyone is interested?

A

i am looking for some kind of id for my son to wear at school at the moment i am interrested to a cadex watch but is not cheapand should be very stong any help please?

Jock 83

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Used to wear a chain round my neck when i was a nipper, but now i just use a wallet card. In the last few months i have seriously considered getting a tattoo. Not 100% sure about what to get though.

kojack

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have used a Talisman bracelet for many years for other medical probs.
When diagnosed with diabetes, just updated the info strip inside.

Mad Asthmatic

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
jock- I know some people in the military have tattoos on their upper arms, I would assume it says something like Diabetic. Only thing with an tattoo is that emergency services may not know to look for it - the military medics know where tattoos would be. sorry have rambled a bit here.

MA

grahams mum

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
i really need smething safe at school not really atatoo or a chain can anibody help me?

Metal Man

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello, I got a tattoo done a couple of months ago, It's basically the medical symbol of a snake wrapped around a staff, with 'type 1 diabetic' written underneath. I got it tattooed on the inside of my wrist so hopefully it would be seen if someone was checking for a pulse!!

aymes

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
i am looking for some kind of id for my son to wear at school at the moment i am interrested to a cadex watch but is not cheapand should be very stong any help please?

the site I use I'd www.coolmedid.com
It is an American site but I've ordered from there three times now, they've never charged me more for postage than domestic shipping though, I just email them before my order to check they're happy to send here.

A

grahams mum

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
id

thanks for the suggestions i already check the sites

Caroline

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I wear a medic alert bracelet, although it is currently under my long gloves. People who notice it think it is a fashion statement untill they are informed otherwise! Also cary my puncture kit with me.

I thought the bracelets were such a good idea, and as you can get them for other conditions I bought them for friends too:cool:

Daisy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have always worn silver bracelets (not medi alert ones as I think they are really ugly!) and have them engraved. My current one is one of the Tiffany bracelets with a tag on it - on one side it has my name engraved on it, on the other side it has insulin diabetic. It has proved invaluable - I once passed out in a swimming pool and once in a gym due to low blood sugar and both times the ambulance people realised immediately and gave me a shot of glucagon. If the id had been in my wallet - they would have had to know my locker number and have opened my padlock and then had to search for my wallet. I used to be very casual about wearing id - but now would never be without it - you never know what may take you by surprise!

Jules A

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I wear a Medic Alert silver dogtag.

I used to wear a silver bracelet but it kept catching on things, particularly at work, and bending the weak link that they have as a safety measure. I also found the bracelet got very scratched.

I first started wearing the bracelet because of the large amount of blood pressure medication I have to take - I'm on maximum dose of five different drugs and I dread to think what the consequence of stopping them all suddenly might be. When I started taking insulin, so would have had to get a new emblem put on my bracelet, it seemed like a good idea to change to something less prone to damage.

Touch wood, I have not caught the dogtag on anything or scratched it yet.

Donald

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I use pendent dogtags from UTAG one is a thin usb drive the other tag is blank and can be engraved

Ikklemo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I too wear a MedicAlert braclet, and frequently recommed this service to friends & family.

It gives me a sense of security knowing that if I am in an accident or something similar, full details of my medication etc. are only a phone call away.

I have also left a copy of the MedicAlert update (which is just a form with my medication/allergies and who to contact in an emergecy) to my supervisor and her deputy in case of an emergecy at work, and a copy to my "Emergency Contact".

:):)