Diabetes ID bracelet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GracefulAng

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
Since my husband was diagnosed with diabetes type 3c, I've been thinking of investing a medical id bracelet for Paul. I've looked into different products on Amazon & Etsy but I'm not too sure about them due to the GDPR. Today, I stumbled across to the Medic ID, which I had previously heard about but had totally forgotten that for years.

Would it be a good idea to invest in one, and what brand and/or product would you recommend?

Many thanks

Last edited:
I don't know which to recommend but years ago a friend gave me one to wear around the neck. It is like a locket where the back unscrews and with a strip of paper in that you can write all the necessary things. It's been used more than once for info and when a chimney fell on my head and knocked me out the Ambulance guys said it was brilliant. I've also got one of the wristbands from the DiabetesUK shop but don't wear that very often as even the large one is a bit too tight.

From personal experience yes it's a good idea, but you'd have to decide what suited best. I'd go for something metal as it will last longer.

I’m not sure GDPR applies in this case personally. GDPR is about preventing companies misusing your personal data for their own gains and without your permission.

Wearing a form of Medical ID is deliberately sharing information about yourself so that a first responder / first aider / helpful passer by can help you.

I have one of those SOS Talisman’s that @AndyGlos mentions on my keyfob (which is always with me), but I also wear a wristband that simply says T1 DIABETES as that is all anyone really needs to know in a first-aid sense in my opinion.

I’m not sure I would want to rely on someone looking up some complicated code to get a full medical history by a rainy roadside in the dead of night in the back of beyond. :D

1718962032447.jpeg

I have a MedicAlert bracelet. They hold a brief version of my records, my contacts, my consultant, etc, and the bracelet itself has basic info engraved on it that I’ve chosen. I chose MedicAlert because it was recommended by my consultant and I like the reassurance. It also works abroad as they speak multiple languages.

My bracelet is a discreet stainless steel one but they do all different kinds, including ones that are more like jewellery (gold and silver). They’re instantly recognisable by emergency workers.

I’ve had it since just after diagnosis and one of my children has one too (not diabetes). I’m very pleased with them.

I wore one when I was first diagnosed T2 but haven't since by BG is more under control. I figured if anything was to happen to me, it would be useful for first responders to know immediately why my BG was over 10. I keep thinking about getting a more personalised one done as I'm now confirmed as allergic to penicillin which is possibly something medics should know about if I'm out for the count!

Etsy have some lovely ones.

Er, I have never yet had one. I wear a watch on my left wrist and a plain chain bracelet on my right. I wear a necklace. Nothing fussy. Allergic to most things other than surgical steel & gold, so silver turns my skin black. I've occasionally thought in the past that costume jewellery would be OK only to start itching like mad after the first hour after which red inflamed weals appear so can't wear any earrings for the next 10 days or in low necked tops in the bleak midwinter!

I keep meaning to get one, aswell as being a Type 3c insulin dependent diabetic I don’t have a spleen. I would definitely get a bracelet with insulin dependent on rather than Type 3c as no one will know what that is, and some Type 3s aren’t on insulin.
PS you’re spurred me on to get one. It’s only been 17 years! 😉

I’m not sure GDPR applies in this case personally. GDPR is about preventing companies misusing your personal data for their own gains and without your permission.

Wearing a form of Medical ID is deliberately sharing information about yourself so that a first responder / first aider / helpful passer by can help you.

I have one of those SOS Talisman’s that @AndyGlos mentions on my keyfob (which is always with me), but I also wear a wristband that simply says T1 DIABETES as that is all anyone really needs to know in a first-aid sense in my opinion.

I’m not sure I would want to rely on someone looking up some complicated code to get a full medical history by a rainy roadside in the dead of night in the back of beyond. :D

View attachment 30629
@everydayupsanddowns I like the wrist band. Did you get it online?

I was actually thinking about a tattoo on my wrist. I don't carry anything and I know that I should. Years ago I had a MedicID watch, when I was first diagnosed and my grandparents paid for the annual cost, its about £35ish a year, but I moved out and had a job at 19 so it wasn't a cost I could justify myself and it was never used. I have only needed help with hypos twice and both times I was pregnant.
On my phone I have the Medical ID information which states all I need it too, my age, gender, medical conditions and medication, weight, height and language spoken. Emergency services do use this, and anyone who found your phone could, worth looking if you have this on your phone.

I can't tell how GDPR applies, what is your concern here?

As @everydayupsanddowns said GDPR and other data law applies to businesses/organisations, so if a person was found unwell, anyone who found them could use any data needed to get them treatment.

It doesn't apply to people, as individuals and emergency services etc have a very legitimate purpose / legal basis (protecting people/saving lives) to use and share this data in these situations.

It's a pity that CGM sensors don't have some diabetes information printed on them...

Hi @PhoebeC
I am very pleased with my tattoo. I didn’t like any of the jewellery and wanted to continue to wear the jewellery that I already have along with a very nice watch. Having found two people with T1 in dire straights in the street I was shocked, and advised that I should be wearing something. My husband suggested the tattoo. I went for it. If there is a cure I will adapt it!!!

No! 😱 Not a tattoo @PhoebeC ! What will you do when there’s a cure? Choose something pretty and/or meaningful 🙂
I am now 18 years into this, longer than my marriage. I think I will risk it, would be worth having it altered if the cure happens, also that's a long part of my life. Could just add 'Was cured of' :rofl:

Hi @PhoebeC
I am very pleased with my tattoo. I didn’t like any of the jewellery and wanted to continue to wear the jewellery that I already have along with a very nice watch. Having found two people with T1 in dire straights in the street I was shocked, and advised that I should be wearing something. My husband suggested the tattoo. I went for it. If there is a cure I will adapt it!!!
Ooh, I'm thinking of a tattoo too. What does yours look like?

I am now 18 years into this, longer than my marriage. I think I will risk it, would be worth having it altered if the cure happens, also that's a long part of my life. Could just add 'Was cured of' :rofl:

Yes, you could add “Was cured of” and hopefully very soon children will look at that tattoo, read “Was cured of Type 1 diabetes” and ask what Type 1 diabetes was. That would be a good day 🙂

@everydayupsanddowns I like the wrist band. Did you get it online?

Thanks! Yes, but I can’t quite remember where now (maybe IDbands??)

I lost a previous one which had a sort of magnetic twist clasp. This one had one of those watch-style zig-zag affairs, and that has almost never come loose.

I have had to replace the inner leather strands (it was initially plaited there) because for reasons that still baffle me it went through the washing machine, and the plait didn’t survive.

I try to choose designs that have metal sections that I think I can re-fix to a different band. This one is a rectangular-section tube with writing on both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back