Diabetes Hands Foundation Advocates Debate Social Media in Diabetes Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Does the medical community need evidence from studies or have patients already proven the role social media plays in patient care?

The Diabetes Hands Foundation will join the debate on the role of social media in diabetes care at the Joslin Diabetes Center's Diabetes Innovation 2013 conference, October 3-5 at the Omni Shoreham Hotel, Washington DC. Three members of the Diabetes Advocates, a program of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, will present their views on the value of peer?to-peer social networks in supporting and empowering people living with diabetes.

"We believe that connecting with others living with and caring for people with diabetes provides emotional support that goes hand-in-hand with the directions given by a healthcare provider," said Manny Hernandez, president of the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

http://www.heraldonline.com/2013/09/30/5258237/diabetes-hands-foundation-advocates.html

Well, I think practically everyone using this forum would agree that social media is of tremendous value to people with diabetes! 🙂

Yep, absolutely. I think there's more than enough proof online that social sites like this one are an invaluable part of the support network for people like us. We have a wide range of all sorts of people, whether partners/carers or actual diabetics. One of the things that impresses me most about this place is that it doesn't matter what 'type' you are (I've been on others where it did - sad), this particular forum is the most inclusive I've found and the only one I frequent now. That alone is of enormous value, at least to me. Out there in the 'real world' I have little support in dealing with my diabetes and it's associated ills. Indeed, I probably would have given up the fight by now if it weren't for the support and encouragement I find here.

So no, I don't think further research is needed. What is needed is for the professionals to actively point people at sites like this when they are diagnosed so that they too can find support which is often desperately needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back