Diabetes-Fighting Secrets from a Former Fat Chef

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
In 2007, Elizabeth Mwanga, 36, was found unconscious on the couch of her Manhattan apartment. She was rushed to the hospital, where tests revealed that her blood sugar levels had skyrocketed to 1000 mg/dL—nearly 10 times the normal range. At this level, Elizabeth risked not only a diabetic coma, but also possible death.

That day, Elizabeth was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes after doctors determined she had been experiencing what is known as diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA), an acute, potentially life-threatening complication that occurs in patients with Type 1 diabetes. In the months prior, she had turned to sugary treats and alcohol as a way of coping with a bad breakup. But the medical crisis showed Elizabeth, who was morbidly obese at 201 lbs and 5’1, that she needed a lifestyle makeover—and fast. “In the hospital, I made a conscious decision to eat healthier, lose weight and manage my condition better,” she recalls. “It wasn’t driven by vanity. It wasn’t driven by, ‘Oh, I want to look fabulous in a bikini.’ It was driven by the fact that I needed to make these changes in order to live.”

http://www.sooeveningnews.com/article/20130802/NEWS/308029933

Bit of a confused article - diagnosed Type 1 but decided she wanted to cut down her insulin requirements to 1 injection a day from 4? Eh?

Last edited:
Clueless ........ like people still thinking insulin jabs ARE a death sentence of themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back