Diabetes Eye Screening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen C

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I have my first eye screening tomorrow and my letter states my vision may be blurry for up to six hours. I just wanted to ask if I would be ok to walk home on my own as I don't have anyone to go with me. If it's not too bad, I will still walk, but if not, I will book a taxi.

Appreciate it may be different for each person, so apologies if it's a silly question!

Thanks 🙂

The drops they put in dilate the pupils, so you will be more sensitive to light. As you rightly say, we're all different but you should be fine walking home. Just make sure you have a dark pair of sunglasses to wear afterwards & don't plan on an reading or computer work when you get home.

If you're unsure then maybe take the taxi this time & see how you go for a benchmark for next time.

In other threads, there has also been a wide variation reported in how long it takes the effect of the drops to wear off.

You will be fine to walk home, the warning is just for drivers.

Hi, I have my first eye screening tomorrow and my letter states my vision may be blurry for up to six hours. I just wanted to ask if I would be ok to walk home on my own as I don't have anyone to go with me. If it's not too bad, I will still walk, but if not, I will book a taxi.

Appreciate it may be different for each person, so apologies if it's a silly question!

Thanks 🙂
I always walk to my screenings as you're warned not to drive after having had the drops. Fortunately I only have to go to our local community hospital, which is 15 minutes away on foot. Wearing sunglasses whilst your pupils are dilated is a good idea, especially if it's a sunny day. My eyes are usually back to normal after 4 or 5 hours.

Thanks 🙂
My son went for his first eye test last week and was fine walking home and his vision was back to normal around 45mins later

And just in case your appointment letter didn't warn you, the drops do sting somewhat!

Thanks 🙂

It depends on your route really. I find the drops make it hard to focus so make things like crossing roads more stressful. If you have the money, I’d book a taxi personally as then you can relax and observe how you are.

Thanks 🙂
Yes just wear sunglasses. It’s a 90 minute walk back to home/work from mine as it’s not on a bus route and I manage it alone no problems

Thanks 🙂
maybe take a pair of sunglasses with you for your return home...

Thanks 🙂
Don’t forget your sunglasses, you will be fine.

Sunglasses are a must. It always seems to be sunny on the day of my check!!!
Walking home should be no problem just be safe on crossing roads.

PS No questions are considered silly on here. If you have a questions feel free to ask.
A wealth of experience to tap into on here, so just ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back