Diabetes Eye Screening Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annette-Rosemary

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Good morning all, I am newly diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and have received an eye screening appointment. I am very nervous about this and wonder if anyone could please let me know anything about it. Many thanks.

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Eye screening involves having some drops put in your eyes so the pupil is enlarged. You wait 20 mins for the drops to work then a photo is taken of your eyes.

You can not drive for at least 2 hours after the drops have gone in so be aware of this if you are a driver.

It's a regular routine thing for diabetics. Usually it's just monitoring. If they do find a problem requiring action, usually it will be very fixable.

I personally find my vision can be wonky for up to 4 hours after having the test. The result is usally sent by post.

It does depend on the individual, but the pupils can stay dilated for quite a long time, so your eyes are light sensitive so remember to take some sun / dark glasses with you.
I looked like one of those googly eyes soft toys for ages.

Hello and welcome @Annette-Rosemary

This information is about diabetic eye screening and retinopathy from Diabetes UK site.

The main thing is to go to screenings when appointments are offered so that your eye health can be monitored, the first time it will be new but it isn't frightening and is a fast way to make sure things are staying in good health. Regular screening checks on the health of your retinas so that should any small changes in retina health start to occur they can be picked up early, monitored and if necessary treated.

Welcome to the forum @Annette-Rosemary

It’s quite understandable that you would feel nervous about the screening, as it is something completely unfamiliar - and eyes always make me feel a bit icky!

But eye screening is nothing to worry about, and you’ll soon get used to them, and think nothing of them. Eye screening appointments are really important, and as others have said any small changes that might be spotted usually only require monitoring initially.

Hope it goes well, and remember those dark glasses. it always seems sunny when I leave!

Oh… and the drops can sting a little - but not too bad.

Hello and welcome @Annette-Rosemary

This information is about diabetic eye screening and retinopathy from Diabetes UK site.

The main thing is to go to screenings when appointments are offered so that your eye health can be monitored, the first time it will be new but it isn't frightening and is a fast way to make sure things are staying in good health. Regular screening checks on the health of your retinas so that should any small changes in retina health start to occur they can be picked up early, monitored and if necessary treated.
Thank you!

Welcome to the forum @Annette-Rosemary

It’s quite understandable that you would feel nervous about the screening, as it is something completely unfamiliar - and eyes always make me feel a bit icky!

But eye screening is nothing to worry about, and you’ll soon get used to them, and think nothing of them. Eye screening appointments are really important, and as others have said any small changes that might be spotted usually only require monitoring initially.

Hope it goes well, and remember those dark glasses. it always seems sunny when I leave!

Oh… and the drops can sting a little - but not too bad.
Thank you so much, I feel a lot happier now. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to see after the screening.

I had mine done about 2 weeks ago. The drops going in smarted a bit, but soon wore off. Photos taken about 10 m minutes after that - I had the test done at the local hospital, and they recommended that I didn't drive for anything up to 6 hours afterwards. Got lift home, and yes, my vision was a bit 'off'. I'd almost forgotten I'd had anything done a couple of hours later...... Results came within a week..... all good..... 🙂. Hope your test is as uneventful as mine....

Hi I had my first screening about 6 ago and I was the same as you a little bit apprehensive, the only thing that bothered me was how sensitive my eyes were to daylight when I got outside so definitely take some sunglasses with you .

Don’t forget that you don’t necessarily have to have the drops. You might need them if you’re older or your pupils aren’t very reactive but I don't have the drops yet at age 35

Don’t forget that you don’t necessarily have to have the drops. You might need them if you’re older or your pupils aren’t very reactive but I don't have the drops yet at age 35
I found last time that NHS 'rules' have changed recently. I was told a few years ago that I would not have to use the drops as my eyes are naturally like saucers when in a dark room and I have had side effects with the drops. Sadly, when I enquired last time I was told you now have to have the drops as 'wasted appointments' (i.e. if pupils did not dilate without drops it would require a re-arrangement) cost money that the NHS simply hasn't got.

I was also told that there is a different drop available that has far fewer side effects and wears off much quicker than the 6 hours stipulated with the standard one. They don't use it due to prohibitive costs.

I found last time that NHS 'rules' have changed recently. I was told a few years ago that I would not have to use the drops as my eyes are naturally like saucers when in a dark room and I have had side effects with the drops. Sadly, when I enquired last time I was told you now have to have the drops as 'wasted appointments' (i.e. if pupils did not dilate without drops it would require a re-arrangement) cost money that the NHS simply hasn't got.

I was also told that there is a different drop available that has far fewer side effects and wears off much quicker than the 6 hours stipulated with the standard one. They don't use it due to prohibitive costs.
Not my experience. They’ve started asking if I am usually good without the drops since Covid, rather than me asking, and I can then tell them that the photos are always fine without drops.

There doesn't seem to be any choice at my clinic. Everyone gets drops. They have a system where they alternate patients whilst drops are working and I am guessing it may throw the system out for them if someone doesn't get the drops in and just gets tested, photographed and out. The drops aren't any big deal for most of us and the 3 mile walk each way to and from the hospital does me good.

There doesn't seem to be any choice at my clinic. Everyone gets drops. They have a system where they alternate patients whilst drops are working and I am guessing it may throw the system out for them if someone doesn't get the drops in and just gets tested, photographed and out. The drops aren't any big deal for most of us and the 3 mile walk each way to and from the hospital does me good.
Same where I have my screening and over the last 15 years I have had the screening at various locations in the area.

The problem with drops for me would be it means having to take the whole rest of the day off work. Without drops I can return to work after. They don’t let you choose end of day appointments you just seem to get what you’re given.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back