Diabetes equipment and stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

runner

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Has anybody found a lockable box that would store boxes of needles, lancets, pills etc. I've been looking for one so that my grandchildren don't get their hands on the stuff, but I can still keep it all handy. It's in an old ice-cream tub at present (Now there's an irony!)

Also interested in what meters and other equipment people use - is there really such a thing as a painless finger-pricker!

I live alone so I don't have the need for a lockable box, but my day to day stuff I put in a clear pencil case cost ?0.50 in JW Smith. My stuck of items I leave in a 'Tupperware' container, refil?l?ing my pil?l? box and pencil? case on a week basis.

Hazel

I live alone so I don't have the need for a lockable box, but my day to day stuff I put in a clear pencil case cost ?0.50 in JW Smith. My stuck of items I leave in a 'Tupperware' container, refil?l?ing my pil?l? box and pencil? case on a week basis.

Hazel

Pencil case sounds like a good idea. I load up my testing kit when I take it out with me, and my insulin pen comes in a glasses case tyoe affair. I add a few needles to this if I need to take it. for day-to-day use (I work from home most of the time) everything is in the tub, in the kitchen area, to remind me to test etc.

What about one of those metal filing boxes (the ones with a handle, not the big ones!). I've got some of those for documents, but they are lockable and would be suitable. You can get them for about ?10. Or a lockable cashbox - here's one I found at Staples:

http://www.staples.co.uk/ENG/Catalo...obs&CatIds=,93209&webid=4m170&affixedcode=WW+

Thanks for the link - the larger box looks good. I did look in our local Staples, Argos etc. but they only had a smaller cash box. Looked in B&Q etc at the file/tool boxes, but a bit big, but the online Staples box looks just right. I shall definitely have to call it the Goldilocks box now! :D

Has anybody found a lockable box that would store boxes of needles, lancets, pills etc. I've been looking for one so that my grandchildren don't get their hands on the stuff, but I can still keep it all handy. It's in an old ice-cream tub at present (Now there's an irony!)

Also interested in what meters and other equipment people use - is there really such a thing as a painless finger-pricker!

I use an Accu-Chek Compact Plus meter. It uses a drum so no fiddly strips. Finger pricker is the softclix. I found washing my hands in warm soapy water beforehand makes a huge difference. My pricker is set to 1.5. Hope that helps you runner.

I use an Accu-Chek Compact Plus meter. It uses a drum so no fiddly strips. Finger pricker is the softclix. I found washing my hands in warm soapy water beforehand makes a huge difference. My pricker is set to 1.5. Hope that helps you runner.

Hmmm - isn't it bulky with a drum? I've not long had a new Jazz meter - i like it 'cos its got a smiley face when your tests are within limit - daft I know, but it does cheer me up! The strips are a real fiddle tho'.

I use an old biccie tin i got off M-I-L at xmas I also use ,I also use the freestyle freedon lite to do my bs's

My meter is a one touch ultra 2 which is brilliant and has its own wallet i n which to store all the necessaries.

Lockable box, how portable do you want it to be? A cash box might be usefull as most also come with a tray for coins. Not sure if the compartments will be big enough to put all the bits you need into them thoe...

My meter is a one touch ultra 2 which is brilliant and has its own wallet i n which to store all the necessaries.

Lockable box, how portable do you want it to be? A cash box might be usefull as most also come with a tray for coins. Not sure if the compartments will be big enough to put all the bits you need into them thoe...

Hi, I started with a One Touch Ultra, but had to code the strips with each new pack. Tried a One Touch Vita, but found it a bit bulky and buttons not so user friendly. Nice big display tho' for those of us who now need reading glasses for everything! Also why I like my Wavesense Jazz - nice big numbers! Plus of course the 🙂

Northerener has kindly found me a link to where I can get a large cash box. Doesn't need to be too portable, mor a case of being able to lock stuff away from little fingers, but still keep it in my kitchen area, where I've got no othere space to put stuff.

I know what you mean about little fingers...

I try to test regulalry and let little feller watch (he will be 5 i n September). The fact that the finger pricker makes my finger bleed is enough atthe moment to put him off, but it wont forever! I have a cabinet mounted in the kitchen where everything I need is to hand and out of reach.

I know what you mean about little fingers...

I try to test regulalry and let little feller watch (he will be 5 i n September). The fact that the finger pricker makes my finger bleed is enough atthe moment to put him off, but it wont forever! I have a cabinet mounted in the kitchen where everything I need is to hand and out of reach.

The cabinet sounds good. Bet he's fascinated with the procedure, and hopefully he won't be bothered by seeing others do the same when he's older and out and about!

I haven't planned to lock the fridge (where the insulin is kept) as its in bags within a drawer, within the fridge, and its in cartridges or whole pens.

The cabinet sounds good. Bet he's fascinated with the procedure, and hopefully he won't be bothered by seeing others do the same when he's older and out and about!

I haven't planned to lock the fridge (where the insulin is kept) as its in bags within a drawer, within the fridge, and its in cartridges or whole pens.

In some ways it has helped him as the necessary injections kids have to have don't bother him. He knows it might hurt a bit, so he's prepared for it.

Seems better to 'educate' now than have problems later in life.

In some ways it has helped him as the necessary injections kids have to have don't bother him. He knows it might hurt a bit, so he's prepared for it.

Seems better to 'educate' now than have problems later in life.

Couldn't agree more. Children are more resilient than we give them credit for and don't necessarily have the same hang-ups. They quite often see things from a refreshing perspective! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back