Diabetes doesn?t stop full life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
FOR the past 37 years, Maree Gilmour has started her day, not with breakfast, but with at least five needles and a blood sugar test.

She was the first one in the family to be diagnosed with genetic type one diabetes and is considered by doctors as a brittle diabetic because her blood sugar levels rapidly rise and fall.

The Wodonga resident said she was shocked when she found she had the symptoms of the disease.

Ms Gilmour, who worked in the diabetes ward in Caulfield hospital in Melbourne before her diagnosis, said she feared for her future after seeing what some patients went through.

http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/1645979/diabetes-doesnt-stop-full-life/?cs=11

Can't see why she should need at least 5 needles before breakfast!

?If I don?t get to my jelly beans it takes my body eight hours to get enough glucose back to function properly.?

Ms Gilmour said her advice for anyone living with diabetes was to surround themselves with a great support network of physicians and family.

?Educating yourself is just so important,? she said.

If it takes her 8 hours to function after a hypo then she needs to follow up her own advice and get some education. 😱

The statement means that IF she DOESN'T treat her hypo properly, with jelly babies, then it takes her body 8 hours to catch. Sounds like she doesn treat her hypos properly, but knows what would happen if she didn't.

5 needles before breakfast does sound like a journalist's error - minimjum 5 blood tests a day, including before each meal seems more likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back