Diabetes distress and burnout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danski75

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi,
I have been diabetic for 23 years, type one, on Pens and a freestyle libre sensor. I did dafne about 15 years ago.
Have recently realised I have a really bad relationship with food and am fatigued with living with diabetes- forget to test and inject regularly.
My dietician mentioned diabetes distress and burnout and just wondered if anyone had any advice or support around this?

Sorry to hear that @Danski75 I found lowering my expectations helped. I relaxed my control ever so slightly, and that relieved some of the pressure. A small change but a big effect. I also chose easy meal options where I knew the carbs so there was no counting or worry. I took one day at a time; made sure to not dwell on ‘bad’ results; and reminded myself that I’m not alone ( this forum is great for that).

I never forgot to test though, but I did test less. Do you not have a Libre?

Sorry to hear that @Danski75 I found lowering my expectations helped. I relaxed my control ever so slightly, and that relieved some of the pressure. A small change but a big effect. I also chose easy meal options where I knew the carbs so there was no counting or worry. I took one day at a time; made sure to not dwell on ‘bad’ results; and reminded myself that I’m not alone ( this forum is great for that).

I never forgot to test though, but I did test less. Do you not have a Libre?
Thank you Inka, yes I do have a libre but just seem to forget I’m diabetic sometimes if that makes sense! Agree perhaps little steps!

Thank you Inka, yes I do have a libre but just seem to forget I’m diabetic sometimes if that makes sense! Agree perhaps little steps!

It makes total sense! It’s a heavy mental burden to carry round and it affects us every day multiple times a day. All the decisions we have to make, all the tests. It is wearing. You’re not alone in feeling how you do. I really did find raising my targets a little very helpful. It relieved the pressure a lot.

Do test and inject though. Missing those out will only add to the hassle. I know the temptation to just switch off from the whole thing, but resist that because it’s ultimately counter-productive and will make you feel rough at best. Do the ‘chores’ but be kind to yourself too. Maybe spend longer on your hobbies op and doing things you like. Relieve the pressure in every area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back