Diabetes diet for Indians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
For diabetics, a healthy diabetes diet is the essence to healthy living along with exercise, of course.

But what makes up a diabetes diet for Indians? There are several diabetes diets published online, which include exotic ingredients and food items. But what about ingredients that are locally available to Indians with diabetes? Let's get a diabetes diet for Indians from the experts in nutrition and diabetology.

Diabetologist, Dr. Sanjiv Bhambani with Moolchand Medcity suggests "A diabetes diet should be high on fiber, must contain milk without cream, buttermilk, fresh seasonal fruits, green vegetables, etc." But remember to consume these components in moderation.

Diabetes diet for Indians should have the ratio of 60:20:20 for carbs, fats and proteins, the doctor explains.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...tes-diet-for-Indians/articleshow/17371553.cms

60% carbs?!!!! 😱 Hmmm...

That 60% probably includes indigestible fibre. Remember that the majority of Indians follow Hindu religion, and many Hindus are vegetarians.

Yes I think that India, like USA don't use net carbs so the calculation is (carbs- fibre).
Still, The 60% total carbs would be a total no-no for me as I tend to treat the source of the problem rather than mask the result.
Eat to your meter - it's how i roll:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back