Diabetes Device Fatigue: Facts and Fixes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made me laugh. Yes!

Ruddy Roche meters play a tune when you're hypo - that's excellent. So you deal with said hypo, but if it's not that low and as you test your dinner is on a plate on the table waiting for you - you know to eat the carby part first even if you have no mash left to adhere the peas to your fork with later - just all in a normal day's life for a T1.

However in exactly 10 minutes time, the meter wishes you to test your blood again to make sure you haven't dropped dead, and audibly tells you to. By this time of course the meter isn't within grabbing distance having left it wherever you were when you tested and were low. Neither has the mash - or absolutely anything I've ever consumed to correct a hypo including Dextrosol, lucozade, jelly babies, honey, OJ or a dessertspoon of jam - had chance to bring my BG back up over 4 so it's a waste of time bodging another hole in me right now.

However at this point you can either press 'Snooze' or 'Dismiss' - and D is the one I need because otherwise it just does it again after another 10 minutes. You can't personalise it.

you know to eat the carby part first even if you have no mash left to adhere the peas to your fork with later - just all in a normal day's life for a T1.

Long before continuous monitoring I can remember more than once starting a meal with the desert. (And it not really bothering me. Which all suggests such things are about as much cultural as anything.)

When I am alone, I don't mind the alarms too much but when others around I fell it makes my diabetes obvious.
And, anyone who understands a little seems to misunderstand how challenging it can be to stay in range. My partner asked me so many times "why do you keep going low?" that I turned off the low alarm because it was easier than explaining how the CGM could be wrong or that I have just eaten anyway or that sometimes it is really difficult to get the insulin dose correct when exercising and eating something new.
That said, I love my D-tech. The pump is so much easier than injecting and my LIbre/Miaomiao/xDrip combination allows me to keep a much closer eye on BG than pricking my finger.
It's not the tech I want time off from - I'd like a Diabetes holiday.

Oh yeah @helli, the questions!o_O I was at my knitting group on Tuesday - outside, socially distanced, teeth chattering - and my lovely friend Gwen wanted to know why I was injecting (it wasn’t a meal-time). So while I was explaining to her that socializing makes my BG go up and I was also hyper after a hypo, my other lovely friend Pam was tutting cos she’d seen me eating a biscuit, so I had to explain to her, blah blah blah..thank goodness none of my devices has bells and whistles - I’d be blue in the face from explaining things.:D

Pam would have been apopleptic if she'd seen me spreading neat raspberry jam on a slice of toast last night then for the same reason you had the biscuit, 3.3 needs more than a biscuit so bugrit, the jar makes faces at me and sticks it's tongue out to taunt me every time I open the fridge door!

Jam! Are you even allowed to have it in your cupboard?! o_O

It seems to be a theme with some of my friends at the mo @trophywench - “you can’t eat that!” To be fair, they’re mostly new friendships and we haven’t spent enuff time together for me to give them The Talk (ie explain carb and insulin to them). 🙂

Far as we're both aware, my beloved has never received a diagnosis of diabetes!

Seriously, it actually spread really well straight onto hot toast (no butter, didn't want to slow the carb down) and if there was a teaspoon it wasn't a heaped one. That's how thick I like jam. I enjoyed it. End of !

You know when we have to undertake The Talk - well according to my OH - I have to stop when their eyes glaze over. Buggrit I say, they asked me to explain it so I am. I therefore now issue a disclaimer and say, 'Well yes I will - but you might regret asking cos it's neither that quick nor that simple!'

Serves me right for reading the article and laughing at the 'you're high, you're low' and telling my cgm not to be so dramatic when it sent a 'glucose level rising rapidly' alarm as I sky rocketed from 5.8 to 6.0. My cgm transmitter stopped working permanently yesterday so no alarms at all for a few days until i get a replacement and how I miss those cheery bleeping alarms without hypo awareness.

Relate to article but can put up with inconvenience of alarms for better diabetes management. Tech is godsend.

The shortest way to stop folk asking what all the beeps are about is just to tell them it's alerts from the Mothership. It's just an advance on me telling folk my Libre sensor is my charge point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back