Diabetes costs taxpayer more than £6 million per year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
HEALTH chiefs spend more than £6 million on diabetes care a year, new figures show.

The cost of hospital treatment, prescriptions and clinics for people with type 1 and type 2 diabetes reached £6.4 million last year.

However, the overall cost for the entire population of Bolton is expected to be much more.

The new figure comes after doctors issued a warning about a “diabetes tsunami” hitting Bolton.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/11529445.Diabetes_costs_taxpayer_more_than___6_million_per_year/

Things will get worse, the last time I was in a ward of less than 12, 3 were T2 & me T1 😱

Being a trotter myself, I'm aware we have an exceptionally high level of diabetes here, but I don't see any evidence of the CCG or the council doing anything productive around prevention of type 2. Although I think they should have a crack at the binge drinking first, it like Lord of the Flies in the town centre on a Saturday night 😱

I don't know what the answer is but I was working in a town ctr a few month ago & wasn't taking any lunch. In a busy shopping ctr there was 3 Greggs & a fish & chip a mac dees. If they did something that was good for you I would have been happier. & I am not talking about stuff with 6 bags of sugar in it 😱

We all know what the problem in Lancs is!

Betties Hotpot! :D

Oh that and the fact it's not Yorkshire :D

OK I'll runaway now!!!!!!

Betties hotpot ! That's not bad. I am talking about sticky toffee pudding cr-p. Etc. We are bombarded by sugar ! Just look at the things people put on this site 😱

Betties hotpot ! That's not bad. I am talking about sticky toffee pudding cr-p. Etc. We are bombarded by sugar ! Just look at the things people put on this site 😱

Not sure what you mean about the things on this site Hobie? :confused:

The problem is that, for decades, we have been told that fat is bad. We're only just starting to be told that, actually, sugar/carbs are the bad guys and fat isn't so bad after all. Plus, we have become a sedentary society where the majority do little or no exercise beyond (and maybe even during) childhood.

Until there is a fundamental shift in society with cheaper, healthier food and wider participation in regular, physical activity the problems will continue. :(

A heck of a lot of posts are about food on here. I know we are all different but 😱 I don't really like cakes & sweets. Fish yes 😎:D

No thanks Robert. Even when I am hypo I wont have pukozade :D Dextrose yes & others. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back